Moho - Misperceptions perhaps???

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Toontoonz

Moho - Misperceptions perhaps???

Post by Toontoonz »

Since I have been posting a few things here at the Forum here I have received several emails asking questions regarding Moho. (Happy to answer them!)

One of the things I have noticed is that some (a lot, many) people seem to think that Moho is a 3D animation program (like Maya, Hash Animation, etc.) but aimed at the cartoon market. As one person wrote "Moho just takes my 3D characters and makes it 2D, right?" (Answer: No.)

The people that write me think that they can take a 2D drawing of the right and/or left profile of a character, plus the Front and/or Back view of the same character, put it all in Moho and then Moho will make all the in-between shapes of the character from side to front to side to back.

In other words, they think that Moho will make a 3D model out of 2D drawings and then animate it so this 3D model looks 2D.
(Something like shown in this 3D tutorial weblink that was sent to me. Some that have contacted me seem to think that Moho can do all the Modeling work after Figures 1-3 in the link:
http://www.ovis.net/~cgroves/tips/toonh ... nhead1.htm )

That is not really Moho.
The first line of the Moho manual states:
"Lost Marble's Moho is a complete animation system for creating 2D cartoons."

Because Moho is a 2D animation program, but can operate in a 3D-type world (one that has length, width AND depth) maybe some people are confused about Moho.

Any comments or thoughts?
cribble

Post by cribble »

Yes, people do seem to think that MoHo is a 3D modeling program, hence having a few posts on turning characters and stuff which is usually associated with 3D.
All though i can see where some confusion comes from, still, MoHo clearly states that its 2D in drawing and animating, and does not say anywhere about it being able to draw 3d.... although it can import 3d objects created in another program and has 3d camera angles etc... this is what probably confuses people.
--Scott
cribble.net
janimatic

Post by janimatic »

there are so many 2d package with 3d workspace :

combustion shake after effects flame

I don't see what's so special with that
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

janimatic wrote:there are so many 2d package with 3d workspace :
combustion shake after effects flame
I don't see what's so special with that
I agree, but all of the those programs you list are expensive, high-end programs to own. A lot of people that are new to animation and 3D & 2D may not know those programs you list and what they do.

With Moho having low pricing, plus a free functional demo (with minor restrictions), this makes it more accessible to many who are starting out.