Points flying all over

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Sine

Points flying all over

Post by Sine »

Try this.
1) in a vector layer, make a limb say a leg
2) add a bone layer and put the vector layer under it's control
3) add a typical bone ik chain eg thigh bone, shin bone and foot bone.
4) test the bones to see if they control the underlying vector. If not, flexi bind all the points.
5) Now translate the vector layer some distance away(for isolation)
6) In the bone layer, translate the thigh bone to match.
7) Now offset the thigh bone to return the leg system back into original position.
8) Try to animate the leg. Bones control works but point control goes whacky

What's happening? It's almost impossible to point animate. Touch any point and they go flying.

Anybody else experiencing this? This happens only with flexibind. If I manual assign points to bone this does not happen. I like flexibind but often need to fine tune the mesh via point editing. This problem prevents the use of flexibind. HELP!
Sine =)
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

If I understand you I think you might be doing the boning process incorrectly.

I think you are moving the drawing away from the bones.
It appears your Number 5 is where the problem occurs.
Your Number 5 action should be done between your Number 1 and Number 2. If this is done, your Number 6 does not happen.

First create the drawing, separate drawing parts, then create Bones.

Here is how I would do it:
(All in the 0 timeframe.)
1. Draw character, say body and leg.
Each part is separate.
2. Put the body on one vector layer, the leg on a different vector layer.
3. In the draw tools I would use the translate tool and move the leg away from the body.
4. New Bone layer: Put both body and leg vector layers in Bone layer.
5. Make bones; check bones, adjust strength, region or flexible boning, parenting as needed.
6. Using "Offset Bone" tool move leg into position next to body.
(When one is creating and adjusting bones, one should not be working in the vector level. Everything should be done in the bone level.)
Done. Ready to animate.

To repeat:
It appears your Number 5 is where the problem occurs.
Your Number 5 action should be done between your Number 1 and Number 2. If this is done, your Number 6 does not happen.

Note: This is all covered in Moho Tutorial 3.4.
(To find this tutorial go to "Help" at the top of the Moho window and click on "Help", then go to the Tutorials section.)
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Sine, I see the problem you're describing and we'll see if it can be fixed quickly. In the meantime, here's a workaround:

In step 5, it sounds like you're using the Translate Layer tool. What if you select all the points in the layer and use the Translate Points tool instead? That seems to avoid the problem. You should be able to do it either way, but we'll have to look into what the problem actually is.

Update: OK, the problem has been found and fixed. The next update of Moho will contain this fix. For now though, the workaround I described should do the trick.
Sine

Post by Sine »

I too found out that if I point translate instead of layer translate the problem didn't show up. Things that seems to trigger this are layer tools eg translation, rotation, origin or some combination of it.

Glad it's fixed. Thanks.
Sine =)