Drawing Fine Line Width in Moho

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Toontoonz

Drawing Fine Line Width in Moho

Post by Toontoonz »

Drawing Line Width in Moho.
I have a problem when drawing freehand in Moho that the tapering and fineness of the lines is lost when rendered to 320 x 240 pixel size ( a bit larger).

When I draw in Moho and use fine lines....
(The setup for drawing: Freehand Options: Variable Line Width, say, Min: 1, Max 3 (or whatever) plus "Taper Start" and "Taper End".)
....The lines that are seen on the screen in Moho are finer than when the object is rendered, ecspecially if the final render is smaller, say 320 x 240.

However, when the final render is 680 x 480 and larger the fine line quality is better.
But render the final drawings to a smaller dimension and all the fineness in the tapered lines is muted, lost, thickened - their tapering is gone.
(This also happens even when I import an Adobe Illustrator file and render it smaller.)

I wanted to test the Moho drawings in Adobe Photoshop.
I rendered a drawing in Moho with a 320 x 240 pixels, .png format.
Then I rendered the same drawing at 960 x 720 pixels .png format.
I opened both in Adobe Photoshop. In the Moho 320 x 240 drawing all the tapering and fine lines were gone. In the 960 x 720 all the tapering and fine lines were still there.
When, in Photoshop, I reduced the image size of the 960 x 720 drawing to 320 x 240, Photoshop maintained the fine lines and tapering.
Moho does not.

See image comparison here:

So the best way that I have found to maintain fine line width is render the Moho animation in a larger dimension size, then import it into another program and reduce it to the final size you will be using.
I can´t get Moho to make a smaller dimension file and maintain line width.

Anyone have any other experiences in freehand drawing in Moho and subsequent rendering of the drawings/animation?
This having to render at a larger size then downsize in another program, will cause more work, larger files and longer rendering times to finish a project.
LittleFenris

Re: Drawing Fine Line Width in Moho

Post by LittleFenris »

Toontoonz wrote:Anyone have any other experiences in freehand drawing in Moho and subsequent rendering of the drawings/animation?
This having to render at a larger size then downsize in another program, will cause more work, larger files and longer rendering times to finish a project.
I have the same problem when rendering small resolution files from Moho as well. Your solution about rendering at twice the size then reducing in another program is the best solution I have come up with as well. It may add some time to the render times but it will also give you more flexibility with your final animation. For instance you could render at NTSC (or PAL) resolution in Moho, then resize it to a more web friendly size in another program. Then you have the flexibility of either putting it on DVD or VHS for others to watch or you can downsize it for the web. If you just had the web version you couldn't upsize it w/o losing quality in another program.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

LittleFenris, I agree with your observations.

I wonder why Moho cannot render a better, sharper, and finer small-sized (320 x 240 pixel) of drawings/animation. Photoshop (and other programs can do it), why not Moho?

Also this forces one to not render movies of their animation (QuickTime,etc), but rather individual files (.targa, .png) and do the movie making/compiling in another program.

From my little bit of testing, the rendering of single frame files in Moho and putting the video together in another program (Flash, After Effects, etc.) gives a much crisper, sharper, more detailed video clip (and maybe even smaller file) than one gets when making the video directly from Moho.
stephen

Post by stephen »

Thanks for your example drawing, but I just wish I did not have to see that baby throw up again and again at the top of the page.

Stephen
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

stephen wrote:but I just wish I did not have to see that baby throw up again and again at the top of the page.

Stephen

?????????????? :?:
stephen

Post by stephen »

There is a banner ad with a clip of a baby throwing up on someone and words to the effect of "click here to see what happens next." I guess since you don't know what I'm talking about that its just a random banner ad, but its come up on two pages recently.

Stephen
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

Toontoonz wrote:Also this forces one to not render movies of their animation (QuickTime,etc), but rather individual files (.targa, .png) and do the movie making/compiling in another program.

From my little bit of testing, the rendering of single frame files in Moho and putting the video together in another program (Flash, After Effects, etc.) gives a much crisper, sharper, more detailed video clip (and maybe even smaller file) than one gets when making the video directly from Moho.
Thats pretty much the case with any program, Moho or not. I always render out individual frames no matter what I'm working on, 2D or 3D. Just give a better end result in every case. This is exactly how Pixar, ILM and any other big studio does it, render frame by frame then composite all the elements afterwards.
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Little Fenris: "I always render out individual frames no matter what I'm working on, 2D or 3D. Just give a better end result in every case. This is exactly how Pixar, ILM and any other big studio does it, render frame by frame then composite all the elements afterwards."

I wonder how many people know that it is better to render out indiviual frames as you noted and composite in a different program.
I hope everyone reads your advice.
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

Toontoonz wrote:Little Fenris: "This is exactly how Pixar, ILM and any other big studio does it, render frame by frame then composite all the elements afterwards."

I wonder how many people know that it is better to render out indiviual frames as you noted and composite in a different program.
I hope everyone reads your advice.
Seems there are a lot of people starting out that don't realize this actually. You have much more control over your animation when you render out frames. Lets say you have a frame right in the middle of your 30 second long animation that is totally hosed for some reason...lets say pink lines all through it from corruption. If you render to a movie, you would have to rerender your entire 30 second animation, whereas if you rendered in individual frames you would only have to rerender that frame to fix the problem. In something like a Hollywood movie where a single frame may take an entire day to render, that could be a production stopping mistake. Thats one of many reasons to always render in frames instead of straight to a movie file. Another is if your computer crashes halfway through a long render or the power goes out. If you were rendering to individual frames you would only have to pick up on whatever frame it was on before the crash/power failure. If you were going to a movie, again you would have to totally rerender the project.