illustrator files

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

genieworx

illustrator files

Post by genieworx »

is there no one who can help me about the extra outline that moho puts when i render??? is there a way to disable outline rendering...
thanks
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Can you post an example or something?
genieworx

Post by genieworx »

how do i upload images on to this post?? i will show u an example[/img]
Toontoonz

Export the Illustrator files

Post by Toontoonz »

It sounds like you are saving the Illustator file and trying to import it as an Illustrator file that is not version 8.

I use Illustrator CS.
To use Illustrator files in Moho one has to "export" them (not save them) as an "Illustrator Legacy" file then as a version 8 file -not version 9, 10 or CS or any other type- just version 8.
Then in Moho one imports the Illustrator Legacy 8 .ai file.
That will get rid of the mysterious extra lines.

I have problems when importing Illustrator files with the colors not being the same and the lines not keeping the same shape as in Illustrator. See my link in the "How Do I..." forum titled: "Get the colors and shapes to stay the same from Illustrator".
janimatic

illustraor import bugs : COLORS AND SHAPES

Post by janimatic »

hey all!
hey lost marble!

I am evaluating moho for a TV production usage with short deadlines...
I love moho and i think it's a very original software.
I am not the 1st one to say that .ai (and eps) importer has 2 bugs though :

> the color mapping is wrong
and
> the shapes are changed because the point curvature handles are not the same (and number of points is * 2) :

do a test with 3 circles, red green and blue
result is (sort of! ) cyan magenta yellow
and shapes ain't really round!
Have a look at my client's character mouth at the bottom... deformed

sample png results plus ai and moho files are in :
http://animatic.no-ip.com/projets/vrac/moho/

SHAPES:
I find no workaround for the SHAPE bug!!! and this is not possible for my client!! Are you working on a quick fix ???. I wish i could help .
My client don't want her caracter drawings modified at all.. and i looove moho.

COLORS:
It's really painfull when you have so many characters to setup in so short time but well it always possible to change the colors by hand and probably through lua. I was wondering if i could write a script to automate conversion to style (every colors with the same value in .moho would be
linked to the same style by the script) that way it would be easier to fix the colors.. but it's just a workaround anyway...

Btw thought latest mac release seem to fix many memory issue and is a great improvement! But windows version seem always quicker..
(quit and relaunch the app stil enhance perfs a lot on a mac, this is not necessary on my opteron win 2k box)

Tell me if i can help in any way i love moho so much i want to convince my client! thank you in advance

best regards

Julien
Toontoonz

Colors & Shapes from Illustrator to Moho

Post by Toontoonz »

As an example of the color mapping problem from Illustrator to Moho I drew round circle in Illustrator Yellow fill, Black outline.
In Illustrator the RGB colors for the Yellow were:
R: 255
G: 255
B: 62

Once it was imported into Moho the Yellow was different:
R: 245
G. 250
B: 60

(The black was correct.)

When a client wants his/color to be just perfect this can make Moho a difficult choíce to use.
I really like Moho, but clients don´t accept, "But the animation program can´t get the colors and shapes right". What time I save in animating is taken away with having to spend lots of time on each shape adn line to tweak all the imported files to get them right. And many times it is just too much work to make all the corrections and so Moho is not usable.

----
The imported Illustrator shape is very much different once it arrives in Moho.
A round circle seems to be squared off when it is imported into Moho.
Test it: Import a circle into Moho from Illustrator and then make a new layer and draw a circle and place it over it. One sees the problem quickly.

I noticed the circle in Illustrator had 4 curvature handle points, but when it is imported into Moho it now has 8 curvature handle points.
However, a circle drawn in Moho has 4 curvature handle points.

And this circle problem of getting 8 points back to 4 cannot be corrected in Moho (or I couldn´t figure it out - or it would take lots of time).
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

There's another thread going on that I just responded to:

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1332

Note that when you see colors specified as RGB in Illustrator, that doesn't mean the file is saved in RGB mode. It might still be saved as CMYK which can lead to problems importing into Moho.
Toontoonz

Tested CMYK & RGB import from Illustrator

Post by Toontoonz »