Moving scenes from one computer to another - path problems

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Rhoel

Moving scenes from one computer to another - path problems

Post by Rhoel »

I have encountered a problem in Moho5.07.
I am working on a oproject where there are several terminals ... some work is done in the office, some at home.

I copied a scene in its parent folder and included all image files in their sub-directories to a CD.

When I opnned this on a different machine, I get lost image placeholders instead of the character image (The problem was a switch folder with a 8 cycle png sequence of a walk cycle done in illustrator). I can manually re-import all the images but to do this on a big project is out of the question.

I haveyet to test if the same is true on an open network, where the master files are on a server.

Is this a bug or an oversight and is there a fix to it?

TIA
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Moho will be able to maintain those links if the images are in the same folder as the Moho file. Unfortunately, if they're in a sub-folder it uses full path names, which are unlikely to be the same on different computers.

The basic rule is to keep your image files in the same folder as the Moho file.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Lost Marble wrote: .... Unfortunately, if they're in a sub-folder it uses full path names, which are unlikely to be the same on different computers. ...
Okay, thisa mighgt be okay for us in the short term but is there a way of including some kind of root directory system aka Dreamweaver so that Moho knows to ignor anything above my computer/moho.

I am evaluating Moho for a studio project where we have 13 * 10 minute episodes: We simply do not have the single directory option.

This isssue will also affect archived material which is reloaded. This problem plagued me on series work using Animo ... the producer/director would elect to do series 2 three years after doing series one, then request we reuse backgrounds, colour models and the like. System chanegs during that gap invariably meant that path names change.

Having a fixed root folder sothat all subfolders become ../Episode01 is an elegant solution to both studio work and reused archive material.

If the studio adopts Moho for theseries, I'll post details here.

Thanx for the quick reply.

Rhoel.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Maybe at some point Moho could have something like the resource files that some programs use and an option to use them selectable by the user. Then everything used would be copied to that folder. Or I think 3DS Max had an option that you could use to 'package' everything so if you had all your files in different folder (like me ;) ) I could select 'make package' to have Moho then run through and save everything used in the project to a zip and edit all the paths to point to these local copies.