Im Back!

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Tel750

Im Back!

Post by Tel750 »

After struggling with Carrara for the last 2 years I am back to my beloved Moho. I had made a few videos in Moho, as a hobbist, and got all excited about sooping up my animations and taking them into the 3d realm. What a mistake. Hours and hours of tutorials, hours and hours of modeling, hours of animating, hours of rendering, and hours of relearning over and over again. I finally worked out that unless you are doing 3d all the time forget it. I forgot the kiss principle. I am really excited how Moho has grown since I bought 3.5 and a huge forum as well. I look forward to getting into it again. :D
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Ya know. I was just thinking the same thing. I do 3d for a living and still can't find the time to really perfect my own indy animations in 3d. There just isn't enough time to hold down a full time job, keep up with the technology, output qualtiy 3D, and have a life outside of it all (especially if you throw a family into the mix).

2D, in particular Moho, is simple enough that you can make scalable animations, ie. I can put out stuff and work on it without it feeling like it's dominating my life. Hell, by the time it takes Maya and a scene to even load up, I've practically finished animating a walk cycle in Moho (with an 8 month old, fifteen minutes by myself can feel like a three day weekend) and I don't need $2K every 2-3 years just to keep my computer up to the task.

Moho is clean and simple. It has frills without them getting sucked up in the vacuum cleaner. It may not be a perfect app, but I haven't met one that is, and this one is a lot closer to it than most.

I know that it is a great addition to the professional toolbox (as the gallery and many of our compatriots on this forum have proven over and over again), but I think its simplicity and ease of use is what really sets it apart from its competitors.

It's one of those rare applicattions that simultaneously provides tools for the pro and remains simple enough for the hobbyist. Not an accomplishment to be taken lightly. Applications that can do alot and have a steep learning curve are easy to come by. Look at any 3d application. Making one that can do alot and has a learning curve so shallow it's more of a learning line, now that's something to celebrate. And all at a hobbyist price.

Nicely done Lost Marble.

TO MOHO!
(raises frosty mug of beer in the air,
downs it quickly,
and wipes a single tear from his smiling eyes)
Now back to work you big lugs!
:D
________
The cigar boss
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Ah, I'm getting a little choked-up here...thanks for the kind words! :D
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

I have the same problem with 3D apps. Too much work to get results. Anim8or is pretty simple and effective with modelling but animation was not implemented very well (so the name Anim8or is a bit misleading), Blender is overblown and not very intuitive, simple stuff like Cool3D is too limited and other software too expensive. "Teddy" is a step in the right direction, give it a couple of years and than it will start to get interesting: http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/teddy/teddy.htm

I like the quick-n-dirty approach and while that's not the best reasoning for animation 2D computer animation is suited for it. In particular Moho and its bone structure. One nice drawing can produce great animations without much effort.

I was starting to think I was the only one who had problems with 3D apps...

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
Tel750

Post by Tel750 »

Installed No5 last night. Fantastic, feature rich and all for the price of a robust red. Moho has matured like a fine wine. I salute you Lost Marble.

Cheers

Terry
Tel750

Added Intro

Post by Tel750 »

I will also take this opportunity to introduce myself. I am a 41 year old Male residing in Darwin Australia. I am a Goldsmith with my own Studio/Workshop. Now that I am my own boss (don't tell my darling wife I said that) I have a renewed passion for my craft, which had become severley depleted after being employed by businesses that excelled in mediocrity.
I have two young children ( 1 of each ) who do there very best to contribute to my downward spiraling sanity, god bless em.
I love making Animations and films but often am my own worst critic. I endeavour to produce at least one short film a year for our local film festival. Several of my/our efforts have netted the prestigious 'Galah' award, highly coveted (guffaw) in our part of the world.
I can be very serious at times but on the other hand the animation style I love the most is the dark, surrealistic and wickedly funny approach that Terry Gilliam had in his Monty Python animations. My favorite artist is Salvador Dali.
I try to sleep for as long as possible unless I am animating, then it is as late as possible, I am extremly self indulgent and obstinate, and only give up if I get bored.
Now I have returned to Moho I will make it my mission to extract every skeric of information from hapless forum users until they band together and hire a hitman to rid the earth of my kind. Or not.

Cheers

Tel
And now! At Last! Another film completely different from some of the other films which aren't quite the same as this one is.
Not animation related just what I do.
http://www.chivali.com.au
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

So Tel, don't be shy, please tell us a bit about yourself. Don't be a stranger...

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

or we will be obligated to employ the truth syrum! :lol:
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

lucky im a backyard chemist! *puts on his aprin, stained with god knows what and walks out to the shed to make some "truth serum"*

I got to admit moho is still the best computer animation tool thats commercially availible right now, yes it does have some flaws but i havent seen a program that doesnt..damn developers just makes me waNNA GET UP AND STRA... yay for moho! :P
Tel750

Post by Tel750 »

Whats there to be afraid of? Bring it on..........

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Suess
And now! At Last! Another film completely different from some of the other films which aren't quite the same as this one is.
Not animation related just what I do.
http://www.chivali.com.au