Sequential Art/ Evoking emotion in audience??

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

spasmodic_cheese

Sequential Art/ Evoking emotion in audience??

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

I was wondering if anyone had any resources on creating sequential art or drawing out emotions from their audience (or anything they feel related)
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but you really should read Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics

It's probably THE best book on the art of sequential art. It even applies to animation and film. Plus, it's all in a comic book form, so you actually see what he's talking about.
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spasmodic_cheese

yah i was looking at that!
Im having troubles finding it at a store close to me tho
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

Definitely get it! It will in all likelihood change how you look at animation and comics! Someday I may go back to teaching film and animation and I plan on making this required reading. It's part history, part theory, part philosophy, and all good.

Trying to decide how realistic you're drawings should look? His section on iconic vs. realistic art forms is fantastic! He explains what could easily be a boringly academic discussion in a very entertaining and clear manner.

It's at the very least a great collection of ideas and theories on the look of comics. And it all translates over to film/animation (take a look at Samurai Jack for instance).

Reinventing Comics unfortunately isn't nearly as good. It's possibly worth reading if you're thinking of trying to make money selling comics/animations online. But it focuses more heavily on comics and online distribution than other topics (interesting, but not great).

If you do end up getting it (and I obviously encourage you to) I'd love to pick up a conversation about it afterwards. :D

Kurt
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simpy

Post by Simpy »

From my experience, evoking emotion from the audience can be as simple as showing the right shot, with the right music.

Nothing gets you into the mood better than some good music, and some intruige to boot.
Fear Me Mortals
spasmodic_cheese

I amanaged to get a copy of understanding comics, its great!

Yah music definatly plays an important role in evoking emotion and theres so much more i want to tap into
Simpy

Post by Simpy »

fair enough :roll: :wink: :oops:
Fear Me Mortals
cainmark

Post by cainmark »

[quote="spasmodic_cheese"]I amanaged to get a copy of understanding comics, its great!

Yah music definatly plays an important role in evoking emotion and theres so much more i want to tap into[/quote]

You might want to look at his website, too.

[url]http://www.exercisesinstyle.com/[/url]
Question everything.
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

An all time classic is:
Comics and sequential art by Will Eisner.
Worth getting hold of for his drawings alone.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I'm not familiar with the topic but something you said reminded me of this book I read about on Gamasutra "Creating Emotion in Games" and it might be of interest -even if it is not exactly what you meant it sounds like concepts that can be applied to film and other media where you want to create a bond with your audience. The author talks about a concept he defines as 'Emotioneering.'

You can read some of the concepts here on his site; I hope to pick this up at some point.

http://www.freemangames.com/idea/index.php