You will be assimilated...Or not?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nobudget

You will be assimilated...Or not?

Post by nobudget »

I was just watching a video tutorial on the Macromedia website and they had a little chat window active. There was some discussion about Flash and then they mentioned Moho! Then another person said Macromedia should aquire Moho, and Magpie while they were at it. Someone actually asked who to contact at Macromedia to suggest products to aquire...

SCARY! One of the reasons of buying Moho was the independent developper Lost Marble. I'd hate to see a good piece of software swallowed up by a company like Macromedia. And if they had interest they'd probably kill of Moho and put some of the features in Flash. No competition, higher prices. Flash has increased dramatically in price the last couple of years.

So Lost Marble, if MM gives you a call and offers you a sh*tload of cash I will understand, but I just hope someone will come along to fill that void. By the way, I looked at how they designed a character and I'm sure happy I switched to Moho. I can't imagine designing cartoon style characters in Flash anymore. Interactivity fine but drawing? No thanks!

Just wanted to share this weird moment,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

I don't think Macromedia would want to acquire it. All the additional features that Moho provides are slow to render, therefore not in line with Flash's purpose. And it's not really competition for them either, I don't think, because it's too much of a different thing.

(Who the hell independently, voluntarily contacts a large company to ask them to buy a smaller one? I wanna see what that guy looks like.)
-Keith
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

I could see them doing it, simply because it'd save them a bucket load of development time, and they could repackage it and sell it as an upgrade or a new product that introduces a new feature set.

Much as I hope it doesn't happen, I wouldn't blame Lost Marble either.
Dave
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"Who the hell independently, voluntarily contacts a large company to ask them to buy a smaller one?"

The same kind that swear up and down Adobe creates the best software for graphics and video editing WITHOUT testing ONE SINGLE ALTERNATIVE, the same kind who buys Pinnacle software and hardware when they KNOW their products are always buggy, the same kind who only buys name brands in the supermarket because they believe it is better because it's more expensive and the same who think "a Jerry Bruckheimer production starring Adam Sandler" is a good reason to go to the cinema. You know, the followers. Most people probably. These people rather buy Moho from a company they can "trust" than from little Lost Marble. :roll:

WE are the different ones...

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

Another thing to keep in mind is, sometimes it's not worth selling what you love, even if it is for a lot of money. If you're running a company that you really enjoy and have pride in, that would have to be the best experience in the world; whereas it might suck to have a bunch of cash in the bank but not be able to keep doing your work anymore.

It depends on the person, and the company. But look at Google. Microsoft offered to buy them. They said "no". Money isn't worth anything if you can't do what you want, and they're doing what they want.
-Keith
cribble

Post by cribble »

I don't think lost marble will sell up. Like someone said earlier , its rendering time is too slow for flash and the whole point of flash was to be quick and easy (if you understand how to use it).
But then again, MoHo is animation, MMFlash is more web interactive stuff, they might buy moho's bone and easy animation system to power their software and make it the ultimate "whoamth" package that could possible change your live or make a male give birth.
--Scott
cribble.net