Hands up...

Post by cribble »

Who here hates the font 'Comic Sans'?

I DO!
--Scott
cribble.net
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I don't hate it, but it isn't the prettiest font around. Kids seem to love it, but then they would, because they love everything that drives their parents crazy. They even think MP3's are hi-fi audio.
cribble

Post by cribble »

I could rant about mp3, but i don't want to. The important issue at hand here, is the extremely over used comic sans. My local pub has recently updated their logo with it - and i just cringe... it's not exactly.. pub like.... why did they use it?
--Scott
cribble.net
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Probably because they don't care about what other people think of their sign.
Gnaws

Re: Hands up...

Post by Gnaws »

cribble wrote:Who here hates the font 'Comic Sans'?
Even more than Courier!

:wink:
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

http://www.dafont.com/i-hate-comic-sans.font

yes, i hate comic sans, but, wait gnaws... courier is so sweet!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

No point in hating any particular typeface, outside of its cliché status. Anyone that uses pre-fabbed typefaces for artistic means will generally modify them until they match the theme of whatever they're working on.

That said, there's quite a few typestyles many would probably consider "cliché":

- "Fancy" typefaces that use thin strokes and overuse curves to look hand written.

- Pop-culture typefaces that originate from various ads/tv shows/movies/etc..., such as the few dozen variations on the star trek: the next generation title text.

- "Symbol" typefaces that serve no purpose other than to make cute little pictures, not unlike emoticons.

It could even be argued that almost all sans-serif typefaces are a cliché in that they are more heavily used in our modern media. Unlike with print, serif typefaces generally do not work well on television. And with print going the way of the dinosaur, sans-serif typefaces will become even more dominant over time.
8==8 Bones 8==8
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Bones3D wrote:And with print going the way of the dinosaur, sans-serif typefaces will become even more dominant over time.
Hah, book sales have never been so high. Books will always be there, because they are easy to use, and they don't crash.

Comic Sans has become such a cliché, because Microsoft has published it as a typeface for its Windows OS. It's font creator,Vincent Connare, had intended it to be used in cartoon balloons, not as a standard font for running text (nor for official signs). His other famous font, Trebuchet MS, has recieved less negative critique, because it hasn't been abused so much.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

When "non-artists" or people without a design sense create or modify their logos or signs...

... that is when you will see comic sans.

Here's one for you:

I worked for an agency a while back. One of our clients was a bug exterminator. Lots of those around. No big deal. But...

The logo had a picture of a... MONARCH BUTTERFLY above the text! It was on all their trucks, paper work etc...

So this exterminator's branding mascot was an endangered, beautiful harmless butterfly to promote... THE KILLING OF DESTRUCTIVE INSECTS.

My agency had NOTHING to do with this logo. I finally got up the courage to ask an employee of the exterminator:

"Why is there a monarch on the logo?"
"Oh! Because the owner LOVES butterflies and Monarchs are his favorite!"
"So, no one thinks that's odd?"
"He loves his job and he loves monarchs. So he put them together."
"Uh... you know... it looks like he KILLS monarchs right?"
"No it doesn't, all his customers know about his love of monarchs."

---------------
We eventually lost that client when he started a new business for identifying insects using the internet.

His business partner "designed" the logo... in... MS Word... with... clip art.

I would get nauseous and have severe headaches having to look at this god awful logo every day. It was awful. It was horrible. It couldn't be used anywhere because it had to be HUGE. The client refused to change it even though the new business had not been launched yet.

We insisted that this serious expensive and potentially important new company needed a PROFESSIONAL logo. It got so bad at one point we offered to do a new one for FREE!

This guys feelings were so hurt he had his partner FIRE US!

I was relieved.

People with out a sense of design can still APPRECIATE good design. They just can't always do it.

-vern
The400th

Post by The400th »

Cribble, you are not alone...

http://bancomicsans.com/home.html
cribble

Post by cribble »

heyvern wrote:When "non-artists" or people without a design sense create or modify their logos or signs...

... that is when you will see comic sans.

Here's one for you:

I worked for an agency a while back. One of our clients was a bug exterminator. Lots of those around. No big deal. But...

The logo had a picture of a... MONARCH BUTTERFLY above the text! It was on all their trucks, paper work etc...

So this exterminator's branding mascot was an endangered, beautiful harmless butterfly to promote... THE KILLING OF DESTRUCTIVE INSECTS.

My agency had NOTHING to do with this logo. I finally got up the courage to ask an employee of the exterminator:

"Why is there a monarch on the logo?"
"Oh! Because the owner LOVES butterflies and Monarchs are his favorite!"
"So, no one thinks that's odd?"
"He loves his job and he loves monarchs. So he put them together."
"Uh... you know... it looks like he KILLS monarchs right?"
"No it doesn't, all his customers know about his love of monarchs."

---------------
We eventually lost that client when he started a new business for identifying insects using the internet.

His business partner "designed" the logo... in... MS Word... with... clip art.

I would get nauseous and have severe headaches having to look at this god awful logo every day. It was awful. It was horrible. It couldn't be used anywhere because it had to be HUGE. The client refused to change it even though the new business had not been launched yet.

We insisted that this serious expensive and potentially important new company needed a PROFESSIONAL logo. It got so bad at one point we offered to do a new one for FREE!

This guys feelings were so hurt he had his partner FIRE US!

I was relieved.

People with out a sense of design can still APPRECIATE good design. They just can't always do it.

-vern
Moral = don't use the coffee machine too often.
--Scott
cribble.net
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Yeah, that will help :lol: Not!