Dan's Web Design...Please have a look...

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CrAzY Dan

Dan's Web Design...Please have a look...

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Hey, I am getting started in Web Design and wanted to show you my website:

danswebdesign.awardspace.com

Please have a look and if any of you need a website, you know where to get it from :D

And please comment on the site.

Thanks

(I'm not sure if this is allowed in the forums but I hope i don't violate any rules)

Dan :wink:
15 year old Anime Studio user...
27/12/06: Im back and ready to get creating again!!
kingace

Post by kingace »

First: no offense, but it's pretty obvious that you're new to web design - and that's not a bad thing. However, before you start actually asking for money, you need to establish yourself.

I wouldn't suggest making a website advertising your business - which, by the way, you should come up with a name other than Dan's Web Design if you want to be taken seriously - until you have already succesfully designed a few live sites.

Instead, create a portfolio website... and if you have a real knowledge of flash, do it in that. Make sure it looks nice!

On your current site: it truly makes quite a few design errors. First, the ticker and the date are unprofessional and unecessary. Instead, put an advertisement or header there. Next, Times New Roman and all serif fonts are content no-nos. Don't put something that says navigation in, the users will know! Also, why are your nav buttons images if they're just links with backgrounds? Same thing could be achieved with CSS.

I'm glad that you are using CSS, but the way you set up your layout is pretty dumb - no need for position: absolutes, simply use floats and clear boths. If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, then it's time to get reading up on CSS.

I wrote a css tutorial: www.ace-dev.net/css
That should help alot.

Overall, your design seems a bit rough and unfinished. I think you need to browse other web designers sites (mine is www.ace-dev.net) and really look at what color schemes work, and what typogrophies are nice, etc...

I hope this helps...
[/code][/list]
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Here is a screen of a MUCH MUCH better site I am currently working on. I do admit the site design for the other one was really basic. Thanks very much for the link by the way. Tell me what you think of the screen please:

Dan :wink:
kingace

Post by kingace »

I like the color scheme and typogrophy (tho I doubt that that font is cross-browser :wink: ) alot on that - but be careful not to overuse those gradients. It can become very tacky very fast!

Still, cool design.
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Thanx :wink:

Quite proud of this one :lol:
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Looks much better CrazyDan. Nice tutorial there from kingace as well. I wrote a small css tutorial recently for a specific issue on my site. Not sure if it may be of interest but here it is Pastel Boxes CSS.

Keep up the good work.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
kingace

Post by kingace »

I actually think that the LostMarble forums should have a General Graphics section where people can share their non-animation work.

If not though, someone could just start a thread and post their "resume" there.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Oh man!

CSS tableless design is the only way to go. I just redid both of my sites using style sheets.

The code is so sparse... the pages are easy to read and edit. There is absolutely NOTHING you can't do with style sheets.... NOTHING... did I say there is nothing you can't produce using just stylesheets?

I had dabbled with this a few years ago but the browser support stank like a dead armadillo on a hot texas highway.

Now the support is VERY good. There is no reason not to go with total tableless web design... I am never touching a TD tag again... well... unless it is tabular data... that would be appropriate. ;)

Here is what is hot for web design... CSS tableless layouts... and flash... everyone wants flash... especially modular OOP in actionscript.

Corporate environments love tableless CSS design so almost anyone can easily edit the pages... they are just simple blocks of copy in logical order... and you can change the look and STRUCTURE of the site with simple changes to the styles.

-Vern