Forget Head Turns, please.

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slowtiger

Forget Head Turns, please.

Post by slowtiger »

Instead look at this video and just tell me why you never ever did put that much emotion, different faces, and hand movements in your animation.
https://twitter.com/filmsupremacist/sta ... 0413436930
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
jahnocli

Re: Forget Head Turns, please.

Post by jahnocli »

God she's annoying
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
DK

Post by DK »

I see your point but why would you ever want to do an animation like that is beyond me.
D.K
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I didn't say "remake this in Moho". I just wanted to point out that there's more to a face than just a smooth head turn, and that most animation in Moho (and elsewhere as well) completely ignores all those possible acting moves in body, hands, head tilts, and so on. Which is a shame.

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Ah, just saying someone is annoying and not adding anything to the main point of the discussion can be very annoying too.

I totally agree with you, Slowtiger. I would just add for me it's not about being against head turns, but using them as part of the animation, using them to express something. A perfect head turn slowly happening during an animation is not telling anything about the character, it's just saying you can rig a head turn (congratulations for that, anyway).
There are some moments in the video where she quickly rotates and tilts her head. It's a very small movement that adds a lot to the performance and could totally fit into an animation (it reminds me a bit to Milt Kahl).
And a last point: You don't need to always like the characters you animate. It can even be fun to not to.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:41 pm Ah, just saying someone is annoying and not adding anything to the main point of the discussion can be very annoying too.
Ha ha, yeah, sorry about that, I was kind of in a hurry.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I should add that I watch this kind of video mostly without sound - it's too annoying to always listen to people, and one can study the movements much more undistracted.

Classical animation still borrows a lot of its facial expressions from that old and otherwise totally forgotten vaudeville tradition - all the great Disney films do. This is not bad in itself, but there's so much more, and human interactions have changed a lot since then. I think it's a good idea to watch these tiktokkers and video podcasters once in a while to keep connected with a more recent kind of "conscious expression performance" (because it is not natural, of course). (And using hip hop gang signs is so out, really.)

(And please wear masks inside, keep the distance, wash your hands. Stay alive and healthy and allow the same for others.)

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

slowtiger wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:30 am I should add that I watch this kind of video mostly without sound - it's too annoying to always listen to people, and one can study the movements much more undistracted.

Classical animation still borrows a lot of its facial expressions from that old and otherwise totally forgotten vaudeville tradition - all the great Disney films do. This is not bad in itself, but there's so much more, and human interactions have changed a lot since then. I think it's a good idea to watch these tiktokkers and video podcasters once in a while to keep connected with a more recent kind of "conscious expression performance" (because it is not natural, of course). (And using hip hop gang signs is so out, really.)

(And please wear masks inside, keep the distance, wash your hands. Stay alive and healthy and allow the same for others.)
I agree with absolutely everything.
Thanks for sharing this, Slowtiger.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Excellent suggestion, slowtiger. I took some screen caps of her extremes to study how her brows, eyes, and mouth convey so many, sometimes quirky, expressions. Your point is well taken.