Motivation

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Re: Motivation

Post by lwaxana »

Neeters, I'd love to hear how your thoughts have evolved on the Ava Duvernay talk.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I think what she describes as a "smelly coat of desperation" is little a harsh, particularly if you're a beginner. It seems natural to seek out mentors, partners, experts, etc. when you're starting out. I'm not clear where honest inquiry ends and desperation begins. Maybe it's that point where you're asking everyone else to do the work for you. Of course, that's just plain laziness, which I think most people can smell a mile away.

Anyway, I agree with her main point that eventually you must take action on your project as opposed to waiting for others to help.

It's a little long too, but other than the quibble above, I think it's still a useful talk.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I agree. A lot of knowledge and skill goes into animation and that has to come from somewhere. Plus the "smelly coat of desperation" is a moot point for indie animation; there is no tangible impact of other animators regarding you as desperate. The chance that someone would do actual animation work for you for free is almost non-existent. But I agree that the broader point is still applicable that it benefits the creator to realize it when they're imagining obstacles that don't really exist. Maybe the "smelly coat of desperation" could apply to pitching animation projects. But if you have a good pitch that includes well-written beat boards, you already know how to take action.
Gsain123

Post by Gsain123 »

well said motivation helps us very much.
The links you shared is fantastic.