off-shore animation studios

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

drichird

off-shore animation studios

Post by drichird »

Been looking at some Batman and Justice League animations recently which are awesome, and of course always interested in looking at animation credits since am hoping to see my name in credits (way way down at the bottom!) for something someday! :D . A lot of work looks to be going to studios in Korea, and they certainly do excellent work and frequently if one project comes out well the producers will stay with the same teams, but it made me wonder if studios here in USA are less competitive? ...and if so, in what ways, is it price, or talent(unlikely)? etc... Was wondering if anyone working out in the harsh real world out there, be it Korea or USA or freelance, had any thoughts? :? :?:
dueyftw

Re: off-shore animation studios

Post by dueyftw »

Because animation is so labor intensive the big studios are always on the look out for a country where the political scene is stable, has decent schools and where the labor rates are "extremely cheap"

Vietnam will be the next big animation center. :)

Dale
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

I've heard of some decent studios in Vietnam (for 2d animation only).

I'm based in Phnom Penh and Bangkok where I've sourced amazingly talented studios and freelance artists for my 3d CG projects.

The future is here (and India)
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Rhoel was living Phnom Penh. He passed away. I had Rhoel do some work for me. So i got to hear a little about how Phnom Penh living was like for an Australian.

Dale
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

I'm sorry to hear that. I would have loved to meet an Asp animator in town. Phnom Penh doesn't disappoint in charm and mysticism, tho it has its perks and life's cheap here. RIP
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

I'm going to retire in 10 years with about 14k a year of income. The one thing I do know I most likely will not be living in the US on that.

Dale
Nicohk92

Post by Nicohk92 »

I know people who live decent lives on less in Cambodia. You can get a comfortable studio appartment for 200$ a month, and if you eat local style (buy from the market, or street food sellers), you'll have plenty of money left at the end of the month. The number one threat i see in new retirees coming here is , well, falling in love with a bar girl.