How to make a unintelligible speech?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Imago

How to make a unintelligible speech?

Post by Imago »

I'm looking for a sort of "unintelligible speech" for one animation.
I'm looking for something like the "simlish", but with no real words (the simlich contains some west european language...)
Also, the speech have to express emotions like rage, pleasure, happiness and other.
I tried to do something by myself, but the result is very bad...
Someone can help me?
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
Imago

Re: How to make a unintelligible speech?

Post by Imago »

No clues? :(
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You could try getting speech in a little-known language (like Welsh, or Catalan) and digitally alter it with Audacity. You could try merging normal speech with people saying "rhubarb" (or something similar) over and over again. You could record some verbal nonsense, and then "play" it in a sound manipulation program using a Midi keyboard. You could record a very young child trying to say difficult words... There must be a thousand ways of doing this!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
dm

Post by dm »

google "gibberish" there are a few 'generators' out there. Though they do tend to be language linked. There was a comedian (or two) who would speak in nonsense language, but I can't recall names. It will come to me...
Imago

Post by Imago »

jahnocli wrote:You could try getting speech in a little-known language (like Welsh, or Catalan) and digitally alter it with Audacity. You could try merging normal speech with people saying "rhubarb" (or something similar) over and over again. You could record some verbal nonsense, and then "play" it in a sound manipulation program using a Midi keyboard. You could record a very young child trying to say difficult words... There must be a thousand ways of doing this!
Sadly, many of the "thousand ways" to do it aren't at my hands reach.
I don't have a Midi keyboard, I'm a bachelor (so no verbally challenged babies around here) and my wallet cry for mercy...
Anyway I will try with a semi-unknown language as you said.
dm wrote:google "gibberish" there are a few 'generators' out there. Though they do tend to be language linked. There was a comedian (or two) who would speak in nonsense language, but I can't recall names. It will come to me...
My english was too poor to know that word! Thanks Dm!
I'll try immediately!

Thanks to both, the advices that I get in this community are always the best! :D
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

a couple of observations:
Imago wrote:...to express emotions like rage, pleasure, happiness and other.
IMO it's the way the line is spoken more than the words that convey emotion. The line "Oh Sugar" in English can be said with love to a loved one; as an answer to a (unspoken) question ("what is this? Salt? ..."); as an expletive where the word sugar replaces another word that starts with the same "sh..." sound; and so on...

To generate a new "language": take a look at: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~ohalad/Phonet ... vchart.pdf and http://www.greentranslations.com/article/spoken-italian (I'm sure there'll be an equivalent set of sound charts for other languages.)

I suggest looking at the phonetics because you might like to try to write the script in whatever (real) language you choose and then reduce the consonant and vowel diversity (maybe changing the word breaks and/or adding or deleting syllables for extra effect).

In other words, if you were writing in English as the base language, pick a subset of the consonants (say just use b, v, th, z, g, h; and i, o, a) and re-write the script picking the sound that is "nearest to but different from" the original sound.

So you might say "Azibi Zi tho thio" instead of "Anime Studio"... of course the transliteration doesn't have to be anywhere near accurate - the original script is there more to guide than to constrain. And, in the same way you direct a voice actor in a "real" language, you'll need to direct them in the "gibberish" to get the pace, tone, emotions... that you want in delivery - only more so, as they won't have an intuitive grasp of the context that would come from using natural language.
Imago

Post by Imago »

hayasidist wrote:a couple of observations:
Imago wrote:...to express emotions like rage, pleasure, happiness and other.
IMO it's the way the line is spoken more than the words that convey emotion. The line "Oh Sugar" in English can be said with love to a loved one; as an answer to a (unspoken) question ("what is this? Salt? ..."); as an expletive where the word sugar replaces another word that starts with the same "sh..." sound; and so on...

To generate a new "language": take a look at: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~ohalad/Phonet ... vchart.pdf and http://www.greentranslations.com/article/spoken-italian (I'm sure there'll be an equivalent set of sound charts for other languages.)

I suggest looking at the phonetics because you might like to try to write the script in whatever (real) language you choose and then reduce the consonant and vowel diversity (maybe changing the word breaks and/or adding or deleting syllables for extra effect).

In other words, if you were writing in English as the base language, pick a subset of the consonants (say just use b, v, th, z, g, h; and i, o, a) and re-write the script picking the sound that is "nearest to but different from" the original sound.

So you might say "Azibi Zi tho thio" instead of "Anime Studio"... of course the transliteration doesn't have to be anywhere near accurate - the original script is there more to guide than to constrain. And, in the same way you direct a voice actor in a "real" language, you'll need to direct them in the "gibberish" to get the pace, tone, emotions... that you want in delivery - only more so, as they won't have an intuitive grasp of the context that would come from using natural language.
Thanks for the answer, Hayasidist, but I don't want to create a whole new language... I simply need a series of "words" that can't be undestood in any way or any country, better if I can add some "emotion" in it.
Maybe I choose the wrong way to explain it. :?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Have you tried just running a recording backwards?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Try talking into a styrofoam cup to muffle the words while leaving the emotional tone. Might need some further processing or muffling to make it completely unintelligible.
dm

Post by dm »

http://youtu.be/ss2hULhXf04

http://youtu.be/XrbumvF-Oe4

Peanuts animation 'adults'. You could use instrumental loops, or a keyboard if you have one. Shouldn't be that hard to press and release keys for the sounds.

Snoopy sounds. I think they were recorded at slow speed and then sped up.
http://youtu.be/gKxXAwBRuVo

Road Runner and Wil E Coyote didn't make much noise, but they didn't usually speak either. Try some of that for 'inspiration'.

You could even try a 'vocoder' effect (there are some free vododers out there)

Leo Gorcey (Bowery Boys), and Norm Crosby both 'misused' words. Some of Mr. Crosby's stuff gets pretty far from 'English'. Though I don't know it's really worth the effort to seek them out-some of the other ideas listed sound pretty good to me.
Genete

Post by Genete »

How about translate the English words to Esperanto and use a voice synthesizer ?
I don't think there were many people who knows Esperanto and you can use Google translate for it.
http://translate.google.es/#auto/eo/Hey ... 20at%20you

-G
DK

Post by DK »

Reverse the audio in any language or jibberish like jahnolci mentions.

DK
Imago

Post by Imago »

jahnocli wrote:Have you tried just running a recording backwards?
Yes... The result is a bit "devilish" :twisted:
Not bad but the hiss is too strong and whean I remove it there are a "click" in the audio track.
Genete wrote:How about translate the English words to Esperanto and use a voice synthesizer ?
I don't think there were many people who knows Esperanto and you can use Google translate for it.
http://translate.google.es/#auto/eo/Hey ... 20at%20you

-G
You can't imagine how many people knows and uses Esperanto!

Anyway thanks to all to the answers.
I'll try to mix every tip & trick, maybe I can do somthing good.
javamcp

Post by javamcp »

You might want to check this video out:

=

It sounds like she says the beginning of a word but then makes up nonsense to finish off the word.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

This is how it's done :D