Microphone recommendations?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Admiral Halsey

Microphone recommendations?

Post by Admiral Halsey »

OK, so I plan to buy a mic for sound recording but I have no idea which one to pick. Maybe some of you guys here have any recomendations for me? Im looking for a mic to record voice obviously and some sound effects like outdoors noise, sound of steps, rain, wind etc. So I need universal mic so to speak within a reasonable price range - 100 - 150 euros. :)
funksmaname

Re: Microphone recommendations?

Post by funksmaname »

I'm not sure about price exactly, and newer models have been released, but I have a zoom h4 (and I think Slowtiger has the same if I remember right) - it's a portable stereo recorder with dual X/Y mic's built in. the quality is fantastic, and the portability is great if you want to record FX and ambiences in different locations. I've not used it for ages - you remind me to dig it out :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I just used it yesterday ...

Yes, it's a really universal tool. I recorded lots of stuff outdoors, but occasionally use it for voice over as well. Maybe look out for a second hand one. A new one is 259.- € at amazon.

If you want to record outdoors, you not only need a mic but some recording device as well.
dm

Post by dm »

What are you using for a recorder?

Does it have phantom power available?

I agree with the Zoom recommendation.

And, I don't think the diversity of use you describe really works with a single mic. Outside you should use a shotgun. For voice under what circumstances? Maybe a shotgun, but maybe better with something else. Depends. If everything is 'on location', then get a shotgun mic for sure. And use really good mechanical isolation (and a wind screen).

I don't believe in 'universal' mics. So, with that, you could check out Røde for a low-end shotgun mic (NTG-1, a little higher than your budget), maybe even an MXL (FR-303, FR-301, etc.). You might also look at boundary mics. Crown, Shure, Audio Technica. (note that the two are nearly opposites as microphones). Keep in mind that a 'good' mic costs. I'd visit a shop with the recorder and do some test recordings to see if you like the way they sound. I have a couple of MXL studio mics that have been cleaned up electronically, and they sound pretty good. Out of the box, not so much so.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Scan the Yellow Pages for film equipment services, most also have sound recording equipment to rent. In my area some musical instrument shops do the same. This might be much cheaper than to buy allstuff yourself if you only need it for one weekend.