SPAM

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Smithmicro really needs to address this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Genete

Post by Genete »

This is getting worse and worse each day...
-G
sbtamu

EN

Post by sbtamu »

I just now checked the site for any new content and it is 100% spam. I do not understand why SM does not update the forum to something more user friendly.
Sorry for bad animation

neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

This was posted by Sarina, the former product manager:
I think there might be some confusion about the administration of this forum. The Lostmarble forum is not owned or run by Smith Micro. Smith Micro employees visit the forum and also post announcements about updates etc., however, we don’t monitor the forum.
Full post: A message from the Product Manager

Spam elimination pretty much depends on the good diligence of the mods (thanks, selgin and whoever else).
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

neeters_guy wrote:This was posted by Sarina, the former product manager:
I think there might be some confusion about the administration of this forum. The Lostmarble forum is not owned or run by Smith Micro. Smith Micro employees visit the forum and also post announcements about updates etc., however, we don’t monitor the forum.
Full post: A message from the Product Manager

Spam elimination pretty much depends on the good diligence of the mods (thanks, selgin and whoever else).
Someone is paying for the site each year, who would that be? Also, I am sure someone has the power to update the site with better spam control safeguards, but they just refuse to for some reason.

I do not mean to come off as a whiner about the SPAM, but I think the site could do nothing but benefit from who ever is paying for the site to do some upgrading to it.

Yes I do know that selgin and the other mods are our only defense ATM to combat these attacks and I commend selgin for the great job he is doing. I am just trying to stress that no forum should have to operate like this when there are ways to avoid the SPAM.

I, as most of you are, belong to many forums and there are no SPAM or maybe 1-2 sneak in every few months or so.

This will probably be the last I say about it.
Sorry for bad animation

neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I totally agree with you about the spam. Although SM isn't connected to the forum, I hope they'll decide it's in their best interest to invest a little bit to improve the customer experience.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Today (1st May) at 2.10 GMT, spam coverage is up to 100%...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

Yeah I agree. It would be in good PR interest for Smith micro to do something about this.

As a moderator for several phpbb boards I know that it actually doesn't take many hours a year just to keep the board updated to the latest version of phpbb and to check the spam prevention plugins every now and then...

That is something the administrator should do just out of respect for the moderator's time and workload, if for no other reason.
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

in 1979 Monty Python wrote "I'll have the Spam, eggs, spam and spam."
It is getting pretty bad. I still don't understand the purpose of it. I guess someone somewhere is making money on it but I really don't see how.

I really do get the whole point that Smith-Micro is not running this forum but let's poke some fun at it anyway :D

This is #2 on the product description of Internet Cleanup 5
Stop Spammers and Destroy Malware
Malicious surveillance programs watch everything you do and reveal your secrets. SpyAlert™ detects the surveillance programs that may exist on your Mac and removes them! Network SpyAlert™ blocks spammers and spyware from sending information, logs and screen captures back to their servers.
And just a few years ago they had a product listed at number 4 on this list
http://warrenhayashi.hubpages.com/hub/T ... m_Software

I get that there's a difference between monitoring one computer vs. a forum of users, but I'm sure there's something that they could do about it if they wanted to.

In the grand scheme of things this is the most thought I've given the topic. The spam is usually pretty easy to spot. But I would really hate to see some of the people I drop in here to get help from stop contributing because they have to wade through the spam just to give someone a hand. It's going to have a ripple effect. One of the selling points they use for Anime Studio is the support users get at this forum.

In the mean time I just don't think I would consider buying products advertised as spam filters from a company who can't stop spam on an associated forum. That doesn't change my affection for AS. :D
Genete

Post by Genete »

I am stopping to read this board.
-G
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Bye everyone. You won't hear from me again on this forum until this is sorted out.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

This is too much now, it's not fun anymore to go here :(
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Dont' make new users automatically.
1. If they have purchased ASP ( ask for sl no to verify)

or
2. Let them show some art of 2d/3d to become the member.

or

3. Or let them post some replies to get the power to create new thread.
( Watch the replies to analyse )
jonbo

Re: SPAM

Post by jonbo »

Thanks Mike for upgrading this forum. It was getting really bad. I hope the upgrade will at least cut down on the amount of spam. I think though, that repeat offenders need to be banned as most of the spammers keep returning every few weeks or so. But let's see how it goes. Thx again. :)
hayasidist

Re: SPAM

Post by hayasidist »

thanks for the update. lets hope this (mostly!?) cans the spam!