pan and zoom. 12 fps or 24 fps

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sine

pan and zoom. 12 fps or 24 fps

Post by Sine »

Man... I just got told in my face that my pan and zoom suck.
Moho is so good at moving layers that I use pans and zooms a lot. either via layer movements or camera 3d moves. But I also do my animation on doubles ie 12 fps. so naturally the cam moves are all on 12 fps. now the post-production facility say they suck.

What do you guys use? 12 or 24? 15 or 30? fps.
Sine =)
Sine

Post by Sine »

I've just discovered the joys of rescaling keyframes.
So the workaround for now is to convert the project to 24fps and rescaling the keys for the entire document.

what will the post guys ask for next? ....
sub pixel movements?
field rendering?
Sine =)
cribble

Post by cribble »

My opinion: 24fps second is good, 30fps is even better. I think working at 30fps is better because you can always export at a resonable 15fps (in the export options, Half frame rate or something like that) and it also looks silky smooth, especially for zooms and pans. But then again, its style dependant. Lower frame rates look good for a certain style.
--Scott
cribble.net
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Since I'm primarily working in video for my indy stuff, I'll use 30fps. Pans should almost always be done on 1's (or full frame rates) otherwise they stutter and strobe.
________
BMW V HISTORY
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sine

Post by Sine »

After looking through the many scenes (40+) that I had converted to 24fps, I realise that not all will benefit. Reason? some cam movements are too small to be interpolated at full frame rate resulting in irregular tiny movements. Visually the movement look like its drifting.

I guess that's why others have subpixel interpolation and field renderings. sigh!

In the end I think well thought out camera moves looks better at any frame rate. Using ease in / out keyframing for cam moves.
Sine =)
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Sine wrote:In the end I think well thought out camera moves looks better at any frame rate. Using ease in / out keyframing for cam moves.
Actually if you do a bit of research you'll find that the pros from long ago (Culhane, Williams, Tony White, etc.) all recommend that you do camera moves on ones. So, if you're animating on 15 fps, then doing it at 15 fps will work just fine.

But if you're doing broadcast or film, and you animate on 2's (or 15fps or 12fps) you will almost always see a strobing effect, well done camera move or not. And that has nothing to do with the beginning or end of the camera move, but with the doubling of frames in the middle. The bigger/faster the move, the more you will see it. Small moves you may be able to get away with it, but it's a gamble.
________
Nevada Dispensary