An easier cartoon maker then MOHO

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

denic2k5

An easier cartoon maker then MOHO

Post by denic2k5 »

Hey guys....

Dont get me wrong, if moho is used with experienced people im sure it is a great programme, but as i am a noob with animation i havent got the first 2 clues on how to use moho.......even if i did i think it would still be too hard to use as im a dummy lol....

anyway, could any body suggest an easier programme to use than moho, maybe one for begginers?

Cheers!
Denic
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Ha ha! You've come to a Moho forum to slag it off and ask for something else? I've got two words for you, and they ain't "happy birthday"...

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
cribble

Post by cribble »

Wouldn't it be an idea to try and learn (important key word here) MoHo, or any other software that you wanted to learn, before you start asking for a simpler solution?

I think no one here learnt how to use MoHo fully within a day (heck, i can't even use it properly yet!), so i think you should give it some time.. take breaks... go outside.... watch a few movies.... then really crack down to it.

Come back in a month or so and see how you're doing then.
--Scott
cribble.net
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

denic theres a learning curve for everything, most creative endevours are tedious and long to learn as you refine your skills...

Im sure if you actually sat down and went through moho tutorials you could get something happen :) and the more you work at it the better you get!
myles

Post by myles »

Hey Denic,

I'm afraid there is no decent "make character animation" button in any software. Good character animation is hard work in any program (as opposed to flying logos and text, which often owe more to good camera-work, lighting and textures than animation, and animated banners and buttons, where a "novelty-toy" creativity is usually more important than the animation. If you're after that sort of animation, you're in the wrong place.).

Moho is the easiest (and most productive, and most fun) character animation program that I've found, if you are happy with the bones/points/switch-layers style of animation Moho uses and you are a one-man team and/or hobbyist. Even a beginner should be able to start animating after working through the first set of tutorials (note: not just reading them).

The amount and quality of animation you use within Moho is up to you. You might, for example, make your characters slide or glide rather than walk if you're not up to animating walking to start with, or just wiggle the characters legs rather than doing a proper walk (some successful and entertaining children's cartoon animations have gotten away with such simple animation styles).

If you'd prefer a more traditional ink-and-paint frame-by-frame style of animation, have a look at the list of programs here. Some have trial versions.
Probably lots more work, but perhaps easier to understand in principle - draw lots of individual pictures, like a flipbook, usually with onion-skin features, although the software may help with some shortcuts. However, the interface of each program isn't necessarily any simpler than Moho, and some are designed more for teams in an animation studio rather than individual animators (and some have a "professional" price to match).

I'd still rather recommend Moho to a beginner rather than an ink-and-paint program - the amount of work to get a similar amount of animation out of an ink-and-paint program is, to my mind, more discouraging than learning the (not that difficult) Moho interface.

Have a go - after the first set of tutorials, you'll be doing your own animation in less time than you think.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"there is no decent "make character animation" button in any software"

Maybe we should put it in the feature request then :wink:
But with some scripting maybe something like this would actually be possible: http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html
A standard skeleton structure, you can add your own graphics layer to it, define the characteristics of the movement and create an action. Moho has the bones and the ability to resize/reposition, it can add vector and bitmap layers and attach them to a skeleton and it can create actions. If someone can add parameters like the particle layers already can it would be very cool for creating actions. Oh yeah, I'm not in the "push a button and it's done" camp but this could actually be useful...right?

Any script writers up to the task? Or LM if he has nothing better to do :roll:

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Perhaps Monkey Jam is what you're looking for. It's basically a pencil test utility (and it's free). If you can draw and have a web cam then you'll be off and running.

http://www.giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com/monkeyjam/

If you're looking for something that actually makes the task of animation easier then you might be out of luck. You're best bet is picking a style of animation and then jumping in with both feet and learning an associated piece of software.

Oh, and spend as much time as possible drawing. It will always be helpful.

Good luck!
________
MERCEDES-BENZ O305 HISTORY