Protests in Chile

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Protests in Chile

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Yesterday we had a huge repression from the government. This pictures are from a newspaper, many of them were taken very close to my house. I was in the middle, trying to peacefully protest with thousand for the right to a decent education.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU1g5e-0g9c

Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

That is very sad selgin!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Wow. Looks like Pinochet all over again...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

sad.
Somewhat makes the recent UK riots even more ridiculous.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Or the absurdly silly "Occupy Wallstreet" protests in the U.S. where the majority of the people have no clue to who or what they're protesting.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

jahnocli wrote:Wow. Looks like Pinochet all over again...
Pinochet never left us. Actually, the educative system we are fighting was imposed by his dictatorship, also our political constitution was imposed on that years, included the law which says that only the government can authorize a protest against the government.
According to official polls 80% of chileans supports the students demands, and only a 30% (around a 22% in some) supports this government. When an imposed non democratic system is afraid, they take police to the street.

I wouldn't call ridiculous the way people manifest their indignation. I have no much info of riots in UK and sincerely I don't believe a bit in multinationals of the mass media, so it's very hard to read non manipulated news in this corner of the world. Many times social injustice generate monsters. Of course you have to combat that monsters, but also ensure that never again exist the conditions in society to produces these monsters.

About Wall street, maybe we don't agree with the way they protest, but I know the target is not wrong. In Chile we have no more than 4000 person really rich, controlling all the media, owners of all the crucial companies in the country. They control everything and use the media and politicians only to maintain their richness, only to not pay decent taxes. If anyone want to protest against that 4000 people, it wouldn't make me angry, even if most the protesters are not economy experts.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

selgin wrote:I wouldn't call ridiculous the way people manifest their indignation. I have no much info of riots in UK and sincerely I don't believe a bit in multinationals of the mass media, so it's very hard to read non manipulated news in this corner of the world. Many times social injustice generate monsters. Of course you have to combat that monsters, but also ensure that never again exist the conditions in society to produces these monsters.
I was not suggesting there was not some underlying social injustice contributing to the recent uk riots. A me me me attitude and lack of respect for others was a massive part of the fuel that drove them... kids looting and burning homes because they only have 1 game console in their bedroom isn't poverty and every time they do it in the name of injustice they undermine the legitimate protests over civil rights and significant issues. Its just my opinion so I'll let it go ;)

Sorry I didn't mean to take over your thread, my thoughts are with you and your countrymen with your real problems.
--Sven
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

SvenFoster wrote:I was not suggesting there was not some underlying social injustice contributing to the recent uk riots. A me me me attitude and lack of respect for others was a massive part of the fuel that drove them... kids looting and burning homes because they only have 1 game console in their bedroom isn't poverty and every time they do it in the name of injustice they undermine the legitimate protests over civil rights and significant issues. Its just my opinion so I'll let it go ;)

Sorry I didn't mean to take over your thread, my thoughts are with you and your countrymen with your real problems.
It's ok. I really don't know much about that riots and results very interesting to me, sorry if I sounded harsh.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

You didnt... I sounded grumpy :?
--Sven
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Sad to see how quickly peaceful protest degenerates to violent confrontation. Sad to see how (some of) those whose job is "to protect and to serve" the public are instrumental in that descent into violence. Sad to see that (some) protestors feel the need to arm themselves. There was a comment by a senior (UK) police officer who said that his approach to riot control was "to fill up our jails and not to fill up our hospitals". Sad to see that this is not a totally shared strategy.

more footage ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-15029102
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-15209187
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-15209907 In this the BBC reports that "132 people were arrested and at least 30 injured, most of them police officers pelted with bricks and bottles"

I am in the process of doing a short film about the (annual) International Day of Peace (now fixed as 21 September every year) http://www.un.org/en/events/peaceday/

This disturbing domestic conflict has reminded me that peace is not only about stopping armed combat between "military" factions but also about stopping violence in civilian settings as well...

Taza triste, comparto su tristeza... (y por favor discúlpeme por cualquier error en la traducción).
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

Portland Oregon have the same protest, but the media keep acting like their is no agenda in spite of signs and their lack of courage to get closer than the helicopter for reporting. But students these days are not expected to pay off their debt by the time they retire. Students loan are not subjected to bankruptcy. Artificial inflated housing and education pricing are 2 of the biggest barrier for the lower class. Boston and New York are 2 of the most violent protest and violation of Human Rights. This protest have gone global. Many economist predict a double dip recession(depression) of 50% unemployment. So my thoughts are with you and pray that changes to end injustice come soon.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

hayasidist wrote:There was a comment by a senior (UK) police officer who said that his approach to riot control was "to fill up our jails and not to fill up our hospitals". Sad to see that this is not a totally shared strategy.
In New York the first violence of brutality had Chase bank give 4.6 million dollar to the NYPD, but not so they could spend it how they choose but that each officer gets a brand new laptop as gifts. If you or I give a police officer expensive gift to do what you want them to do, that would be bribery. But somehow it's okay when big banks do it.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

SvenFoster, I think you are right about the UK riots. They had nothing to do with demonstrating for a cause and everything to do with, in the main, kids organising raids on high street retailers via the internet with the sole purpose of destruction and material gain.

The situation in Chile is entirely different of course and I wish Selgin and all the other demonstrators and the people of Chile all the best and hope that change will come soon for them.