Storyboarding intro

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

3deeguy wrote:Your post influenced me to make a change in the way I work. I have been trying to put together an animation without a clear story in my head. This means I have to re-rig my characters because I haven't thought through everything. I have a general idea and I get stuck on the 'specifics'. I'm working without a blueprint.
I think I can work from a written plan as opposed to rough drawings. I'll see.
Mr 3d, Im glad its had an impact and only hope its a +ve one ;) I'm trying to follow my advice at the moment(or rather the advice I've borrowed from the rule book).. I'm short on time at the moment but feel as if I'm moving towards a goal... at least you can measure where you on on the line, unlike making it up... of course there is a balance and everyone/team will be different.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

SvenFoster, is there a story going on in your avatar? I just took a good look.
Cheers, Larry
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

3deeguy wrote:SvenFoster, is there a story going on in your avatar? I just took a good look.
ha... maybe and also not really..

I cobbled the pig and hedgehog together for a "limited" animation series I considered trying to do weekly/semi regularly.. I rigged them up and did some test anim's but put it on the shelf for a bit.

I need an Avatar in a hurry, plopped these two on a background I knocked up, Placed a couple of CENSORED blackout bars, gave the hedgehog a smug/proud look and the Pig a shocked expression... Seemed appropriate and would give the impression of a story ;)

no animals were harmed in the making of that avatar, the only damage done was to animation and art... for that I am truly sorry.
--Sven
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Very cool. And I see you have a 27" screen. That's a big timesaver.
Cheers, Larry
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

3deeguy wrote:Very cool. And I see you have a 27" screen. That's a big timesaver.
cheers.... and the large screen is somewhat obscene and took some getting used to but I struggle everytime I get on a normal screen, now by normal I mean 22" lol

Oh yeah I've got all the tools, just no clue ;) doesnt stop me trying
--Sven
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

Update: I'm still working on my script and making good progress. I've already learned the basics of animating in AS. I am now learning the basics of telling a story through animation.
I have to think things through. If I ramble it's because things are not clear to me.
I had to rewrite this post many times. I prefer the fewest words. When I ramble people lose interest.
I think storyboarding should be a natural step for animators.
Cheers, Larry
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

3deeguy wrote:Update: I'm still working on my script and making good progress. I've already learned the basics of animating in AS. I am now learning the basics of telling a story through animation.
I have to think things through. If I ramble it's because things are not clear to me.
I had to rewrite this post many times. I prefer the fewest words. When I ramble people lose interest.
I think storyboarding should be a natural step for animators.
its like you've just described me.
--Sven
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I've just completed a quick Blog post about how I add music to my animatics if you are interested. I think everyone develops their own way of working and this is just the way I do it.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

AmigaMan wrote:I've just completed a quick Blog post about how I add music to my animatics if you are interested. I think everyone develops their own way of working and this is just the way I do it.
Thanks oldbean... most informative. Interesting that you seem to compose the music after the animatic is done, so the music has to fit into the timing of the action.. I assumed everyone would use a click track and match the animation timing to the music... or do you do a bit of both.

I recently tried using avid sybius (or whatever its called)... didnt enjoy it much but probably because I'm without midi keyboard at the moment... Most of the time I have to make do with garageband which does the job.. that Music maker application was a dead ringer for my fav phone app NanoStudio... its pretty much all synth based and a joy to use even on a phone..
--Sven
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Yes, both really. Obviously all incidental music is recorded afterwards to fit the animation. On Bob The Builder even when we had a dance routine or similar we would decide on the beat then mark off each one (every 12th frame for example) on the bar sheets then animate to that. The song / music would be composed afterwards to match the beat.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

I guess that comes back to the point that you need to be flexible in this stuff... have a workflow that fits the task and be prepared to adapt(not make it up as you go along)

good stuff.

PS: please tell me you've met Bob.
--Sven
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I met all 6 of them :D
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

AmigaMan wrote:
I met all 6 of them :D
I knew it... Its like in the movies with young actors they have to use twins... Bobs work was so demanding he needed sextuplets..

Does he do his own stunts?
--Sven
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

he did do his own stunts. He now has a CGI stand-in that does the lot :cry:
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Have to say I had noticed... is that called progress?

He moves pretty well but its like someone stole his soul lol... I like to see finger prints on my kids puppets.
--Sven