anyway to make money with animation?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Exactly, success rarely comes over night, and these peoples are very talented.

You definitively need to improve on your work, write short and funny stories, animate them the best you can, learn a bit of html and build yourself a webpage or even a blog like I did.

Content, content and more content.

A friend is making good money with a site with articles she buys off the web, the sort of general articles that you can find all over the web, but she got a good setup for getting viewers.
Last edited by GCharb on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

mykim wrote:
funksmaname wrote:Also, I wonder if youtube doesnt advertise with users who respond to their comments with "you obviously dont have a sense of humor fa**ot" and "You mad? you mad that your country sucks g*y dick?" - why would anyone advertise with a person like that?

...aside from which, as wizaerd said, the animation quality isn't great, and the audio isn't great by your own admission... plus, assuming the subject of the video I saw is something to do with big brother in the UK, there was nothing entertaining about the video (possibly through lack of context)

You now have two choices. either you listen to this sensible advice and come back with humility, or you turn into a flaming homophobe and come on the offensive.

Sadly, I expect little more than the latter, but hope to be surprised.
Im not homophobic but i hate idiotic comments on youtube so i call such people, "f@ggots" if you did not find the video entertaining thats your probably british humor.
people from the USA tend to find my video funny. I dont like your judgemental tone.

I seriously doubt youtube cares about what i say in my comments. Youtube is pretty awful in general. It took forever for my adsense account to even get linked when is is supposed to only take 48 hours at most.
I'm not British, I am from the US, and I did not find it amusing, or even a good animation at all. has nothing to do with British sense of humor.
wizaerd wrote:
mykim wrote:thanks for the feedback. yeah its rough because it was my first try. My sound equipment is not optimal. What do most people use to record? I only got my webcam and a headset.

Im probably not going to stick with youtube. They are giving me a hard time by not putting ads on my videos anyway. I do some work on fiverr.com right now but i do not get much exposure there.

I was just wondering if there was something similar to youtube where videos can be monetized
Your first try, and you expect to start earning money on it? People have studied and been practicing animation for years before attempting to market themselves as an animator. You really can;t expect to earn money off it from only a single first try, can you?
i was just hoping for youtube to put up ads on my videos, so i actually have some incentive to make more. If ads are up, some people may click and I earn money. Simple as that. Thats the way youtube works. You dont need an amazing animation to make money. I've seen plenty of crappy videos with ads on them. You obviously dont know how youtube revenue sharing works
Regardless of how YouTube Revenue works, you initial question was how to make money on your videos and animations. Here's the first step: Get better at it. Make an animation worthy of people telling their friends about. Make a good enjoyable video, post it on YouTube, avoid calling people f@@gots in your comments, avoid confronting the rabble, and just maybe it'll pay off for you.

I still think the expectation to make money with animation after one attempt, and a poor one at that, is completely unrealistic. YouTube's revenue model works on having something worthwhile seeing. Not everybody clicks on YouTube ads just because they're there. there has to be a reason, and an incentive.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

wizaerd, this is common sense all right, but sometimes attitude gets in the way. I remember reading slowtiger's comment that mikdog's willingness to listen was the one quality that made him a superior animator. I agree.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

...that and the fact he's got skillz! ;)
mykim

Post by mykim »

wizaerd wrote:
I'm not British, I am from the US, and I did not find it amusing, or even a good animation at all. has nothing to do with British sense of humor.

I could not care less if you did not find it funny. You have to be in a younger age group and understand the context of the video to get the humor anyway.

Also, this was my first attempt at traditional animation. everything was drawn by mouse. I dont even have a tablet and toon boom's drawing tools aren't the best
wizaerd wrote: Regardless of how YouTube Revenue works, you initial question was how to make money on your videos and animations. Here's the first step: Get better at it. Make an animation worthy of people telling their friends about. Make a good enjoyable video, post it on YouTube, avoid calling people f@@gots in your comments, avoid confronting the rabble, and just maybe it'll pay off for you.

I still think the expectation to make money with animation after one attempt, and a poor one at that, is completely unrealistic. YouTube's revenue model works on having something worthwhile seeing. Not everybody clicks on YouTube ads just because they're there. there has to be a reason, and an incentive.
yeah keep on bashing my first animation. I doubt your first attempt at animation was any better. Ads going up has nothing to do with the quality of the video. Getting better at animation will not help me on youtube anyway. Either their system is broken (assuming it is automated) or they flagged my adsense account for no reason.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

mykim.

I don't think anyone is bashing your first animation, mine was awful I am pretty sure.

What peoples are saying is that it is very unlikely, that at your level of animation you will make any money.

All they say is that you need to get better at it.

Would you be interested to see a first time animation, would you spend any of your time watching animations at that level, would you tell your friends to go and watch it?

These are the questions you need to ask yourself, and you need to be honest.

Is your work at a level that will attract enough views to be any profitable.

In my opinion it is not.

Like I said before, you need to get better at this, you need to get better knowledge of the web and its intricacies, you need to get your act together and create more then one animation as well.

It is a tough business, and We would be bad persons if We we"re to sugar coat it to you.

On the plus side, you will get all the help you need on this forum if you want to go this route!
mykim

Post by mykim »

GCharb wrote:mykim.

I don't think anyone is bashing your first animation, mine was awful I am pretty sure.

What peoples are saying is that it is very unlikely, that at your level of animation you will make any money.

All they say is that you need to get better at it.

Would you be interested to see a first time animation, would you spend any of your time watching animations at that level, would you tell your friends to go and watch it?

These are the questions you need to ask yourself, and you need to be honest.

Is your work at a level that will attract enough views to be any profitable.

In my opinion it is not.

Like I said before, you need to get better at this, you need to get better knowledge of the web and its intricacies, you need to get your act together and create more then one animation as well.

It is a tough business, and We would be bad persons if We we"re to sugar coat it to you.

On the plus side, you will get all the help you need on this forum if you want to go this route!
im not trying to earn money with freelance work. Of course my skills is not good enough for contract work like that.

I was just wondering if youtube is the only platform that allows such revenue sharing. I have seen plenty of crappy videos on youtube with ads on them. I feel like youtube is giving me a hard time
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Yeah, youtube can be a pain!

Another way is to start a blog, like with blogger.com, which you can monetize, might do the trick for ya!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

just to re-interate, we're not bashing your first animation, but since you seem to know you have room for improvement it's surprising you are taking such an abusive response to any criticism (not here, but on youtube)

Irrespective of the quality of an animation - if I looked down and saw that the poster was abusive and unlikable i wouldn't become a 'fan' - I wouldn't want to see what else they had to say and if one of my friends recommended him my response would be "yeah... but he's an asshole :S" - and that's the worst possible outcome for someone trying to build a fanbase.
mykim

Post by mykim »

funksmaname wrote:just to re-interate, we're not bashing your first animation, but since you seem to know you have room for improvement it's surprising you are taking such an abusive response to any criticism (not here, but on youtube)

Irrespective of the quality of an animation - if I looked down and saw that the poster was abusive and unlikable i wouldn't become a 'fan' - I wouldn't want to see what else they had to say and if one of my friends recommended him my response would be "yeah... but he's an asshole :S" - and that's the worst possible outcome for someone trying to build a fanbase.
i only added those comments after realizing how awful youtube is. I seriously think that youtube has a hidden blacklisting feature used by the staff. My other account is not even getting ads either.

That being said, most people who leave comments on youtube are plain idiots. I would not even call it constructive criticism.

also my plan was to promote my videos by posting on my usual forum that i visit and not by organic youtube traffic. I am a pretty well known member on bodybuilding.com's forum, but all that is useless now that youtube intends to screw me over like this
GCharb wrote:Yeah, youtube can be a pain!

Another way is to start a blog, like with blogger.com, which you can monetize, might do the trick for ya!
if i can actually manage to get traffic, i might go that route
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I would just advise you don't get worked up by criticism - if it's constructive great, if not, ignore it - don't fight fire with fire coz as the provider of the content you will look worse off... it's better to let people be sympathetic about people leaving you shitty comments than thinking you're a twat for coming back worse than the original poster imo. :)
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Here is the 1st animation I ever made. I thought I was an actual animator after I made this, I was proud and held my chin up....then the forum pretty much ripped it apart. But they did, in a kind way, help me become better at animations. After I posted my 1st animation, that I thought was a master piece, this forum just ripped my heart out of me. But now I understand why they did. Thanks guys.

A rerun of my 1st animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXQBgEOVV6c
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

mykim wrote:
wizaerd wrote:

I could not care less if you did not find it funny. You have to be in a younger age group and understand the context of the video to get the humor anyway.
Wow, you really are a rude fella, ain't ya... My response about it not being funny was based on this comment aimed at another forum member here:
Im not homophobic but i hate idiotic comments on youtube so i call such people, "f@ggots" if you did not find the video entertaining thats your probably british humor.
people from the USA tend to find my video funny. I dont like your judgemental tone.
So because you don't like the comments you get, your first initial reaction is to attack them, and whip out insulting slurs... Yeah, I sure wanna sign up and help you out.
Also, this was my first attempt at traditional animation. everything was drawn by mouse. I dont even have a tablet and toon boom's drawing tools aren't the best
A great excuse, truly. Again, in the initial posting, the specific question was how to make money on your videos and animation. But really, I don;t much care if you make money or not. You're rude, you're full of all sorts of insults, excuses, etc...

Oh, and one last thing
I doubt your first attempt at animation was any better.
You're right, it wasn't. But neither did I blast people for their criticisms, and neither did I expect to start making money on it right off the bat. If you're really so desperate to make money, perhaps you should start counseling or motivational speaking, cuz you're just so gosh durn compassionate and understanding.
mykim

Post by mykim »

wizaerd wrote: So because you don't like the comments you get, your first initial reaction is to attack them, and whip out insulting slurs... Yeah, I sure wanna sign up and help you out.
Well, most people who leave comments are youtube are indeed human scum. Even youtube/google is run by human scum. They banned my first adsense account for invalid activity, when i never did anything against the rules. I had a balance of $18+ that was never even given to me. They just refunded it back to the advertisers after they closed my adsense account.

Youtube/google and the users on youtube are indeed a bunch of f#ggots.
wizaerd wrote:A great excuse, truly. Again, in the initial posting, the specific question was how to make money on your videos and animation. But really, I don;t much care if you make money or not. You're rude, you're full of all sorts of insults, excuses, etc...

Oh, and one last thing
none of your posts have been helpful anyway. I never asked for criticism of my first animation, and yet you kept on doing it. All i asked is if there is another site similar to youtube that is not run by assholes.

wizaerd wrote:You're right, it wasn't. But neither did I blast people for their criticisms, and neither did I expect to start making money on it right off the bat. If you're really so desperate to make money, perhaps you should start counseling or motivational speaking, cuz you're just so gosh durn compassionate and understanding.
I already make some money on ebay and fiverr.com. Why on earth would i need some BS counseling or motivational speaking? Penn and Teller would call both of those professions Bullshit.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

mykim you're silly but I like you... Please entertain me some more with your enlightened teachings and emotional self control. I too wish to learn how to connect with fans and fellow animators.

second thoughts, add "Sorry, lets start again" to your signature or come back as a different user and we can all be nice.

PS: I never like these either....
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?