Hardware - SSD (solid state drives) - Do you have one?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cheyne

Hardware - SSD (solid state drives) - Do you have one?

Post by cheyne »

Hey everyone,

My poor little hard drive that has worked so hard for me for 6+ years (I try not to spend where spending is not required!) is about to die on me. I've had Windows disk recovery up a few times this week :-(

I am going to purchase one over the coming days (probably tomorrow, I love my computer) and was wondering if anyone here on the forums uses one? From my research in the past they were expensive for what they are - but seems to be not the case at the moment. Main performance boost that most people relate to is moving large files, which I do and will be doing once I started producing some more ambitious animation projects.

So I've really answered my own questions, I will likely be getting a SSD - regardless please tell me what you are experiences are like :-D
winknotes

Post by winknotes »

I have one although haven't had it for too long.

They are expensive compared to regular SATA drives. I got an 80GB drive and use it as my C:\ drive. I don't use it for data but only for the operating system and installing applications.

One thing I hadn't considered until a friend pointed it out, is you don't defrag them like a normal drive. There's a special utility (the name escapes me right now) because of the way data is stored on them. Other than that I can tell you for sure that Windows boots up quicker than it ever has for me.

Steve Winkler
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Thanks Steve. They are expensive, but logically, you don't need a massive drive for your OS and software. Use an external for storage etc. I've read good things about storing user directories on separate drives to save space and increase some performance.

Yeah you don't need to partition, it's basically a flash drive on steroids. No more spinning discs :-D Which means a relatively silent computer (can't wait to replace my power supply, Cooler Master is noisy man!).

I think the utility or whatever is TRIM. Don't quote me on that, I've only just started reading up on them again - it's been a few years since I'd bothered to check it out.

Thanks Steve!
winknotes

Post by winknotes »

TRIM is the utility I was trying to think of. Anyway to get back to your original question I don't think you'll be disappointed with the performance.

Steve Winkler
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Further investigation - found a Kingston 128GB SSD for $235.00 (I live in Australia) - that's almost half the RRP I just read in a magazine, and it got a good review.

I'd actually like to get a Memoright SSD - heard REALLY good things about them and they are cheaper than other name brand manufacturers. Only problem is they don't sell in Australia yet. Might have to check out PriceUSA and see if they can find one for me.

Cheers,
Cheyne