Please help us to translate this text to English

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Please help us to translate this text to English

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, my girlfriend is finishing her investigation about community television in Chile and she needs to translate a short text to english. I offered myself to help her, but I'm pretty sure our translation is far to be perfect so I decided to look for expert help here :wink:

It would be awesome if some of you could take a look and correct our mistakes.
Here I pasted the text, the blue paragraphs are in Spanish followed for their corresponding translation.

Thank you very very much :)

La información recabada en este reportaje pretende explorar las posibilidades de sustentabilidad de los canales de televisión comunitaria chilenos ante la llegada de la Televisión Digital Terrestre, que cambiará el modelo de televisión analógico a través del que los canales comunitarios transmiten actualmente.

The information collected on this reportage pretends to explore the sustainability chances of the chilean community television channels before the arrival of the Digital Terrestrial Television, which will change the analogue television model through the community channels transmited so far.

Para ello, se indagó en paradigmas de la televisión alternativa: qué se entiende por este concepto, cuáles son sus antecedentes, cuál es su relevancia y por qué amerita su existencia.

For this, the investigation inquired on alternative television paradygms, such as how this concept is understood, which are its antecedents and why its existence is necessary.

En la búsqueda de definiciones más allá de lo teórico, se visitaron tres experiencias de televisión comunitaria: Señal 3 La Victoria, el primer canal comunitario chileno; Umbrales TV de Villa Francia, que busca generar lazos no sólo con televisoras, sino también con prensa y radios populares; y Canal 3 Pichilemu, una señal de la sexta región cuya particularidad es ser gestionada por profesionales de las comunicaciones, a diferencia de otras experiencias comunitarias que han sido levantadas por autodidactas.

In search of definitions beyond the theorical, three community television channeles were visited: Señal 3 La Victoria, the first chilean community channel; Umbrales TV, from Villa Francia, which looks to build links between television, but with popular press and popular radio too; and Canal 3 Pichilemu, a signal from the south of Chile which -unlike the other two cases- is one of the few that are administrated by professionals in communication.

A partir de ello, se establecieron modelos de gestión, falencias y posibles proyecciones para los canales comunitarios.

Once this information was collected, it were established management models, shortcomings and possible projections for community television.

Para complementar lo anterior, se seleccionaron casos extranjeros representativos -Estados Unidos, Argentina, España-, con el propósito de conocer distintos arquetipos de televisión comunitaria, así como evaluar el desarrollo de estas antenas ciudadanas en países donde ya se ha legislado sobre Televisión Digital Terrestre, TDT.

To complete this, foreign representative cases were selected from United States, Argentina and Spain; in order to know different community television archetypes and also evaluate the development of this public access channels in countries were they alreaded legislated about Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT).

Todo esto, con el fin de rescatar estas experiencias invisibilizadas y ahondar cuáles son sus proyecciones con la televisión digital en Chile.

All of this was made to recover these ignored experiences and get deep into their projections on the new Digital Television scene.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Hi Selgin,
I don't know Spanish at all, but I have tried to translate what I think you are saying. :)

---

The information collected in this report explores the possible options to sustain Chilean community television channels upon the implementation of Digital Terrestrial Television, which will change (replace?) the analogue television model currently in use to transmit the community channels.

This study investigates alternative (usually in English alternative will be interpreted as "non-default option." Sometimes "alternatives" are understood as "options" in a specific context. Like "This study investigates some alternative television paradigms..." but even that may be understood as "non-default.") television paradigms; exploring each paradigm's concept, antecedents, and why it is necessary.

In search of definitions beyond the theoretical, three community television channels were visited: Señal 3 La Victoria, the first Chilean community channel; Umbrales TV, from Villa Francia, which seeks to build links between television, popular press, and popular radio; and Canal 3 Pichilemu, a signal from the south of Chile which -unlike the other two cases- is one of the few that are administrated by professionals in communication.

Once this information was collected, management models were identified as well as shortcomings and possible projections for community television.

For further examples(/analysis?), representative cases were selected from the United States, Argentina, and Spain; to identify different community television archetypes and also to evaluate the development of public access channels in countries that have already legislated Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT).

This study attempts to highlight(/examine) previously overlooked examples(/experiences) and to analyze(/interrogate?) projections of the new Digital Television scene.

---

Again, I'm not sure of the exact meaning of the original text, but I tried to figure it out based on the context. Probably a native English speaker who also knows Spanish can point out any mistakes. Hope this helps!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Thank you very much, Lwaxana!
You are very nice, my girlfriend and me are very grateful. Your cleaning and comments have been very useful and I think you interpreted the idea of the text very well. Also, you obviously have a much wider knowledge of English vocabulary than both us, so the text looks much more professional now :D

Thank you again. I really owe you one.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Not at all, Selgin! Thank you for all the animation tips you share on the forum. I have learned so much from your posts. And your girlfriend's research sounds very cool! :D