Incredulous Job Board Postings

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jwlane

Incredulous Job Board Postings

Post by jwlane »

I saw a posting the other day, I believe in Atlanta, requiring 1 - 3 years of industry experience, on expensive software, for an unpaid internship. I'll venture they also want the intern to provide all hardware and software - delivered to their facility (a growing trend).

This stuff won't last forever. Once AT&T, Comcast, Google and maybe TimeWarner have sewn up total control of the US internet, printing presses may be humming again - or carving on clay tablets, depending on the economy.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

It would be interesting if you could post the text of original posting (redacting the incriminating parts). From what I've seen it's common practice to overstate job requirements. Companies will just skim the cream off the top. What's galling is that this is for an unpaid internship. Isn't the purpose of an internship to gain experience?
jwlane

Post by jwlane »

I don't remember exactly where it was, and it's hardly worth relocating. It may have been craigslist Atlanta. It's just that a couple of days later I'm still pondering the gall of some people. How could someone post such and ad as a good faith gesture? They want 3 years of experience for free, indeed. I'd like my dog to shit solid gold turds, but I'm not writing Eukanuba Feed Co. for a refund.