Animation for television- budgets

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bartender

Animation for television- budgets

Post by bartender »

Hey I'm reaching out to anyone on this forum that has experience producing animation for television

does anyone know what a normal budget would be per episode for a show such as family guy, simpsons, American dad, etc.

And I'm also interested if shows on cable stations like fx and nickelodeon have less budget and if anyone has any knowledge of what their per episode budget is I would love to hear it.

And lastly if anyone has a book to recommend about animation budgets for television I would love to get that as well!

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Bartender
dm

Post by dm »

go here: http://cartoons.captaincapitalism.com/a ... graph.html

There's a graph with budgets from long ago to about now, covering many different shows.

And, yes, show budgets vary with what station they're on, and how popular they are. That has a lot to do with advertising dollars, by the way.
bartender

Post by bartender »

thanks for the link that was really helpful!

Im in the process of developing a show i want to pitch, and want to be prepared for the amount of money i may have to work with to make each episode.

It seems to vary alot

The Simpsons: 1.2 million an episode
spongbob- 500,000 an episode
south park - 250,000 an episode

And it doesnt show family guys regular show budget, only the pilot, and that might be more like the numbers a new guy would expect to see, it said they got 50,000 to make the pilot.

I would imagine family guy has over a million an episode budget by now.