Article: What it takes to get your animation on TV

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bupaje

Article: What it takes to get your animation on TV

Post by bupaje »

I saw this link in a newsfeed -haven't read it yet but thought it might be of interest.

http://animation.about.com/b/a/169846.htm?nl=1
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
cribble

Post by cribble »

It does make you wonder how much you have to go through, even if you are a highly qualified animator, to get your stuff on TV.. i'm not sure whever i can be bothered with TV....
--Scott
cribble.net
RASH

Post by RASH »

Although I have no aspiration whatsoever to work in the animation industry, I still read about how to get into it; just for the fun of it.

Perhaps somewhat related to this topic is the Steve Barr interview, a professional cartoonist. I especially enjoyed reading this part:
Once on a trip to New York City, I visited several art directors at various publishers and showed them my portfolio, hoping to land a contract to illustrate a children’s book. The first art director that I met with told me that she liked my work, but my colors were too bright and children wouldn’t like them: I should go home and tone down the colors I had used. That afternoon I met with an art director at a different company, who liked my drawings, but said that the colors were not bright enough for children: I should go home and brighten up the colors that I had used!
I guess similar things can happen between aspiring animators and TV art directors.

I see a lot of similarities, like never give up and try to stick to your own artistic standards and not give in too much to the whimsy of art directors. I remember an article on AWN.com, titled: "So you want to become a professional animator", with gave pretty much the same solid advice: "Don't give up, keep trying!"

And what I've heard of it, the situation here in the Netherlands with both public and commercial tv isn't so much different from that of the USA, only on a much smaller scale. There's a closely-knit community, which is very difficult to get into. But once you're in, you have a lot of job opportunities, because real talent is appreciated (as anywhere else in the world, I guess).
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

My feeling is that TV is going to be going away, at least as we know it. I think we will finally have the integration between TV producers and consumers through the internet. People will be able to get what they want, when they want, and pay as they go. It will be like pay-per-view on an extreme scale, and not just for movies, but for series, and even smaller sized shows. The cost to the consumer is going to depend on how many ads are in the show. Imagine, saying, "I would like to watch Episode 52 of M*A*S*H. Here is my credit card number for $9.95".

We are getting close (though people have been saying this for a long time) for a couple of reasons. First, Google is getting into the market.

https://upload.video.google.com/

They are starting a beta program where you can upload your video. Currently, you can only upload, but soon you'll be able to set the terms for which people can view it... free, or fee based. Bye bye to earthlink, putfile, zippyvideos. You will even be able to "brand" your portal for your customers to see your videos. They will handle everything behind the scenes. Goodbye broadcast television as we know it.

Coincidentally, there is an article running on slashdot from yesterday about how Battlestar Galactica has killed broadcast television.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid= ... 129&tid=95

The gist of the article is that the show is as popular as it is because of piracy spreading word of mouth about the initial show.

So I personally am not aiming for TV. I'm aiming for a moving target, it would seem. :-)
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Stations are renewing series based on DVD sales now, for instance "The Chapelle Show" became one of the best selling TV DVD sets and he ended up with a multi-million dollar deal for new shows...and instantly lost his "mojo" but that's another story... Television has become a home shopping channel for DVD sets!

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
cribble

Post by cribble »

So there you have it... DVD is the future. Screw TV (with a drill)!
--Scott
cribble.net
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Not so fast Cribble, I also wrote "Television has become a home shopping channel for DVD sets". TV is still the best way to get exposure. Internet doesn't have the "casual viewer" and user base advantage tv has. Maybe in the future but the density and irregularity of internet makes it difficult to find your audience. And for big DVD sales you not only need exposure but also sales outlets, dvd stores, warehouses, online stores. So you need a big time distributor who picks your project up. Oh yeah, I forget about the minute chance you get this far and need to have a sequel...FAST!

Are you crying yet? Filled with despair? No? Congratulations, you can now choose two boxes; one filled with huge success, one filled with the pit of oblivion. Showbiz doesn't have any middleground, sorry...

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com

PS. Just to get you out of the bad mood I've given you a positive smilie :lol:
cribble

Post by cribble »

Not so fast Cribble
Alright, i'll slow down :lol:

sorry...
--Scott
cribble.net