what do you do?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BA

what do you do?

Post by BA »

Hi Moho folks,

There seems to be a wide variety of people on this board, using the Moho. So I wonder:

What do you do? Are you in school? Got a job? Is anyone here using Moho for their profession yet, or is it strictly a play-at-home-into-the-wee-hours-of-the-moring type of thing? Are there any full-time animators out there, and if so what are you working on?

This board is an amazing tool for people to help each other with their experiments and collectively unleash the unlimited potential of Moho. Maybe the community can help itself even more by identifying people's specialties outside of Moho.
cribble

Post by cribble »

I'm on a BTEC National Diploma in Music Preformance!! When i go to university, i want a change of direction, and do Digital Design, which is basically being a jack of all trades in the digital artists field.
I do animations mainly on weekends or days off if i don't have assignments, so i barely produce anything worth viewing... but i have so many ideas building up though..... grrr....

Basically, i'm not hardcore (emo) into animation... won't be for another year i guess....

Sorry i bored myself there.
--Scott
cribble.net
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

I do video editing and animation for a living. I went to a 4 year art school ( www.scad.edu ) and have a B.F.A in Illustration. Right now I only use Moho for personal stuff, actually just learning how to use it so far. I may have occasion to use it for my job at some point, but need to learn the program more before I can do that. Check out my sig for some of my artwork (site is still under construction).
stephen

Post by stephen »

I am a computer programmer in a research department by day. Outside of that I am an ameteur artist. I paint, write and compose music. I have always been interested in animation. As a teenager, I learned that you can strip the emulsion off of old color 8mm film by soaking it in water. That leaves you with a clear film. I would then draw teeny tiny frame by frame animations onto the film, I would splice the film into a loop and project them for my family. Sure they were very very simple drawings done with a fine point marker, but they were what I could do with what I could afford.

Then our high school bought a computer. I spent a lot of time writing BASIC programs that would use the video screen for animations. There were no such things as bitmap displays then, so think moving ASCII art here.

In the late 80's I did a lot of annimation work on my Amiga computer, alas it was all lost when the system fried itself one day.

Now after many years I am back to computer annimation, with Moho. I am working on a personal project that brings together my skills as an artist, composer and annimator along with my faith.

Stephen
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

I earn my living as an animator, mostly as a freelancer at short films and commercials. I do cut-out-animation and 3D-animation, beeing a too slow drawer for traditional animation.
I started out with a 2 years animation school here in Sweden and after that I got a job as a flash animator at a 2d computer game and it's just kept rolling since then.
The first short film on a professional basis was a 13 minutes cut-out made in the "old style", moving around pieces of paper under a 35mm camera and thats pretty much how I use Moho now, I do frame by frame cut out with hand drawn and scanned drawings.
I've used Flash and AfterEffects for digital cut-out before, not happy with either one, and then I found out about Moho.
I'm still working on my first Moho project, a 15-20 minutes animated documentary, I've also started on a 3 minutes pilot for a short film based on a popular graphic novel.
Both projects are intended for film output and I'm really satisfied with Moho in this aspect, it runs with hardly any effort in 2K resolution where Flash and AfterEffects would be almost to sluggish to work with.
Overall, I'm very satisfied with Moho.
JCook

Post by JCook »

I work in the Graphics Department of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA. I do graphs, illustrations, and animation for the scientists here. For animation I mainly use Cinema 4D, as most of what I need to do is 3D, but Moho has broadened my animations greatly. I have used it for whole animations, but also in combination with 3D animation for various projects. I have used Flash, but I'm not a web designer, nor am I interested in becoming one, so making web pages doesn't attract me. I tried using Flash for straight animation before I found Moho, but it's really not as well suited for that purpose. If you want to make an animation that is simply a movie to be watched, but doesn't need interaction, then Moho is the perfect tool!

Jack
DaBeav

Post by DaBeav »

I am currenty an RF electronics technician in Rochester, NY. A job I definatly "fell" into, being that I pretty much HATE hardware.

For the last few years I was attempting to create a PC Video game based on a episode concept I had, that I thought would have been ALOT of fun to play. However with my "lack" of spare time mixed with my constant need to change my mind/direction, as well as losing faith in the video game industry/community (Push graphics, then more graphics, then more graphics, and if you have time, some plot, and maybe if the budget allows some game play. I like graphics, but COME ON), I pretty much abandoned the project.

Now I have decidedly changed gears to a cartoon idea Ive had for a while now. Something along the lines of South Park meets Family guy. Wild, quirky, and definatly of a more mature based humor. I was thinking about creating the entire thing using Cinema 4D (THE BEST 3D modeling package, EVER, PERIOD), however creating as many characters as I require in 3D would take years. So I was "shopping" around, and found Moho. I have been playing with moho for a couple weeks now (inbetween my busy schedule), and I LOVE it. The bone animation inside of a 2D environment was BRILLIANT. Moho has given me a new found "ambition" to complete a project before the end of time, lol. As soon as I figure out how to "work around" some of the technology vs creativity associated with any software I hope to create a good enough quality product to quit my job, move to maui, etc etc. :D
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

DaBeav wrote:I was thinking about creating the entire thing using Cinema 4D (THE BEST 3D modeling package, EVER, PERIOD), however creating as many characters as I require in 3D would take years. So I was "shopping" around, and found Moho.
That was exactly my situation. The technical aspects of 3D, coupled with the need for extensive knowledge in every part of 3D like lighting, rigging, rendering, etc...really put a bad taste in my mouth for the whole idea. I decided I would see what other options were out there...including 2D animation (I was going to render out my 3D animation with a "2D look" anyways). Once I found Moho I knew this was it. I had looked at other programs like ToonBoom and USAnimation, etc..but found Moho to be the one I understood and actually enjoyed using.
Andrewstopheles

Post by Andrewstopheles »

I just got Moho about a week ago. I am a prepress artist for a Flexo printer with a background in video production and prior to that I was a draftsman. As a kid I dreamed of making cartoons and I finally decided to give it a try after my day job started to get dull. I use Moho with Dogwaffle and Blender on a new Dell Inspiron 9400 and a Wacom Tablet.
Andrew Allen
p6r

Post by p6r »

I'm a teacher...

I'm playing with several very good programs : MOHO, Animation Master, Multimedia Fusion, Vue d'Esprit, Wings 3D, Wood Workshop, Easy Music Composer and so on...
BA

Post by BA »

I guess I should throw in my own bit, since I started the thread...

By day I work at an animation studio, supervising the 2D character design department. We make 2 shows, Odd Job Jack and Sons of Butcher, both produced using Flash. So, I spend most of my day looking at puppets and thinking about how they can move better while looking good.

By night I work in my own studio, closely interfacing with a mysterious machine known only as the Chaos Engine, which I'm using to produce an all-new project which will rely heavily on MOHO. More information on that will be forthcoming as it moves along.

I'm a three-time university drop-out, which proves that you don't need any kind of certification to get ahead in the cartoon game, as long as you're willing to work your arse off.

You can find out more about the shows I work on at their official websites:

www.oddjobjack.com
+
www.sonsofbutcher.com

warning - both contain adult content!
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
el_Brujo

Post by el_Brujo »

i'm a c# .net programmer (+ MS SQL).
In my free time, i do a lot of other things... getting drunk :D, growling im heavy metal band, writing, programming stupid games, editing movies, photos, driving bicycle... :D
"Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-- under any circumstances."
- Mark Twain
phoebemonster

Post by phoebemonster »

I am currently training in the contemporary circus arts, particularly as a hand-balancer, contortionist, and acrobat. I am also somewhat of a dancer, and I am a bassist. I have been taking a lot of art classes and dance classes in high school, and one of the art classes I took last year was "documentary film",using final cut pro. This really got me excited about film and creating digital sequences. Just recently having switched to Linux, I found out about Moho when I was doing searches on freshmeat.net to see if I could find any linux choreography programs 2 or 3 days ago.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I'm currently working as an office manager for a couple of construction contractors and am a full time animation student at Brooks College in California. I had 18 years in the pet business and a succesful internet business -until the internet imploded a few years back. I have a home study degree in computer programming with BASIC and VB3-4 way back in the day but that seems to have mostly dripped out of my ears.

I have introduced some teachers and fellow students to Moho, and plan to use it for some parts in animations I am working on (which I hope to add to my portfolio). I'm using Flash and some Toon Boom this year but there are some things that Moho offers that beat these pricer tools.

Currently I am a Moho tinkerer, mostly playing with the drawing tools and odd effects.

@phoebemonster - Circus arts? That was cool and unexpected.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]