2 most annoying questions of animation

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Acochran_89

2 most annoying questions of animation

Post by Acochran_89 »

Ok...so..i was browsing through the forum...and some other animation forums...and I just wanted to share with the rest of you the two questions that I came across the most.....

1. what software did you use? I want to make something just like what you did!
2. how do you make animation

my only response to that is...wow...lol...I myself have been guilty of asking what software and programs were, however, I like many, ask out of plain curiosity. It's sometimes fun to know what was used. But some people make it seem like it is the software that is doing all of the work. Like there's a magical software that will give you a professional, great looking, animation with the simple click of a button. They are taking away from the hard work that is really put into some of the great animations that people have made. It takes time...practice...development of skills...practice...dedication...NOT software. I think that pretty much covered my frustration about question number two also. People ask, how'd you make that, like it was a simple 10 step process, and not hours, or days, or even months of hard work. COME ON PEOPLE!!

I'm sorry for this rant, but man it is frustrating. I myself am by no means a professional and don't have a lot of talent. BUT i enjoy the challenge of animating. It is just a fun hobby for me, but i don't disrespect anyones hard work by asking dumb questions like that.

Anyways....lol I'm done now...please feel free to post your thoughts on this matter...however, i fear that this could possibly start arguments. I just wanted to get this off my chest. Please don't take anything personal or make it into something personal.
b15fliptop

Post by b15fliptop »

I hear you on this. It's funny, because I always get the impression that people don't think I'll want to give away the big secret to what software I use. But I am always quick to tell them it's ASP, and that it has some amazing capabilities for under $200. Why? Because the software may be available to just about anyone, but all of the other things that go into creating something that other people will actually want to watch are in short supply.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Sometimes I think the reason some new animators or computer artists ask about the software used is very much like people who want to wear the same clothes, use the same cologne or products of their favorite movie star or sports celebrity. They imagine using the same thing will give them the same talent, or success in life. ;)

---------------

There also seems to be two very general, mind sets when it comes to software price:

Those that use cheap or free software and brag about it.
Those that use the most expensive and popular software and brag about it.

Both of these types can also be "critical" of the other. If you don't use the most expensive and popular software you aren't serious about your work. If you use really expensive software then you are not working hard enough. ;)

These are "generalizations". I do not imply EVERYONE falls into these specific categories. I have to admit though... I am more proud about using CHEAP software than I would be about using EXPENSIVE software. It must be my frugal nature. ;)

------

There is of course a third category; those that use bootleg pirated software and ALSO brag about it. I could never figure that group out to be honest. I don't brag about stealing cars or rolling bums for change down at the train station. ;)

-vern
b15fliptop

Post by b15fliptop »

heyvern wrote:I could never figure that group out to be honest. I don't brag about stealing cars or rolling bums for change down at the train station. ;)
LOL

I think the reason I could never do the pirated software thing is a general tendency towards paranoia. I would be afraid that the Software Police would come and knock down my door at any moment!
Acochran_89

Post by Acochran_89 »

I have to admit though... I am more proud about using CHEAP software than I would be about using EXPENSIVE software. It must be my frugal nature. Wink
and your work on here is excellent! you are a prime example of one of the people that works hard at what they do...and i have to admit that going through and reading your rants about things such as this somehow makes me start realizing the annoying things like that lol.

and as for rolling bums down at the train station..didn't you hear it's latest thing for kids to do these days?! :wink:
Stag

Post by Stag »

why hello :D i use anime studio... and i have been searching to see demonstrations of peoples work on this site. youtube is a bit rubbish for viewing quite GOOD stuff. well, i say that, i dont know where to look i guess. :D let me know if you know :D thank you people! hehe.
Never tickle a sleeping dragon. putting his hand in warm water will do the trick. :)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Stag wrote:why hello :D i use anime studio... and i have been searching to see demonstrations of peoples work on this site. youtube is a bit rubbish for viewing quite GOOD stuff. well, i say that, i dont know where to look i guess. :D let me know if you know :D thank you people! hehe.
http://my.smithmicro.com/win/anime/indexa.html
Take a look on the official gallery, there are pretty good stuff there (mine too... :roll:)
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

I have always thought of software as a tool. Some software tools are better than others. If it (software) seems to help your flow of work use it. Others view on software use is helpful. Photoshop web sites, AnimeStudio web site,etc.........
You'll know when you get there! My Dad
dm

Post by dm »

heyvern wrote:\. I don't brag about stealing cars or rolling bums for change down at the train station. ;)

-vern
wow. I didn't know you stole cars and rolled bums for change. I thought you were a more honest sort of person than that. At least you refrain from the bragging. :)

Aside from that thought- I look on people who are asking such questions as neophytes looking for a place to start. If you're interested in animation, and you have no idea about how it works, you have to start somewhere. Naturally, Anime Studio has that Anime button that does all the design and animation for you. But how do you find this stuff out if you don't ask? Hopefully, as you start accumulating information, your search for it becomes easier. Seems that there is a point where knowledge seeking can take on its own life.

Well, alright, there is still a fair percentage of people who are just nitwits. But don't the genuine people deserve a shot? I'm thankful for the people who helped me along when I didn't know anything, but was interested. Um, yeah, that was before the internets. A little different in them days.

Elitist? Don't we want to feel special about who we are? Our 'stuff'? There's a giant media machine devoted to telling us we aren't good enough unless we're something else-something better. If you can't be special by having more, you can do it by having less. We're always better than the other 'guy' aren't we?

Can you imagine what it would be like to be a teacher? For 20-40 years? A never ending flow of people who you have to teach the same thing to, with the same questions year to year. Over and over and over. A never ending deja vu. I don't think I could do that.

a bit ramble-y. sorry about that.