The 64 bit question

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

The 64 bit question

Post by chucky »

OK here's the 64 bit question,
Vista 64, anyone?
I'm still holding off on a new machine and I don't want to switch to mac if I can help it. more the fool me, probably.
So has anyone played with Vista 64?
Pro's and cons? :roll:
If we could be a little far sighted and hold off on the old" you'd be crazy" routine I'd like some mature feedback if possible. :P :P :P :P :shock: :lol:
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
DK

Post by DK »

I bought a quadcore with 4 gig of ram the other week. It had Vista pre installed but have been so busy I have only played around with it using sound apps.....I really don't like the Vista interface but I guess like most things it will grow on me. I have yet to install any graphics apps on it so can't give you much feedback yet....I plan to install my copy Lightwave on It which apparently makes use of the 64 bit rendering. If find anything scary I will post it.

DK
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I've used Vista 64 quite a bit, but the first thing I did was disable the UAC (User Account Control). I could never use Vista for more than a couple minutes with that active. One that's done, it's mostly OK, although I personally prefer Macs.

I can tell you that Anime Studio runs fine on Vista 64. It's not a 64 bit process, but otherwise it works just fine.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Excellent thanks guys, great advice regarding the UAC too Mike (if that's you) :wink:
PS sorry I have been away so I didn't mean to miss your answers.
Antonin_K

Post by Antonin_K »

Personally I think that Vista is a crap.I use XP 64 edition, and I'm fine with it.But missing 64bit and multicore processing.I hope it will be done in the next release of this great peace of software.

Cheers!
Antonin K.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello all!

RedHat guy here but we have a mix of xp and vista at work, some machines would not work properlly with vista 64, while others do, weird really.

Thoses that do work really well.

I'd stick with XP, Vista has many problems, would wait and try next release of windows which MS almost sweared it would not have Vista shortcomings!

On the other hand, Linux really rocks if you're willing to cope with some extra setup.

GC
chucky

Post by chucky »

Me:
I'd like some mature feedback if possible
AK
Personally I think that Vista is a crap.
Now, this was exactly what I was talking about..... :? :roll:
I love to stir and incite, it's as fun as a monkey, but OS wars? PLEASE. :(
Immaturity is the realm of the animator but you can take a good thing too far.- Good reel BTW AK :)

Oh yeah regarding vista, if you have some favourite software that is old and won't run on XP but you would like to use it again, it will run on Vista really well. I like Vista and I have heard no reason for it's crapness just broad statements mostly these come from IT guys who would prefer you used XP so that they can continue to fix faulty networks, with Vista they just aren't needed as much you just press the repair button. :wink:
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

This is just my opinion but;
Xp is bad and Vista is crap.

First off the operating system should be small as possible. It job is to assist programs in running and using resources of the computer. Vista doesn’t do nether. What I expect from an any Microsoft os is to run any program. That includes DOS, 3.1, 95,98 and xp. No excuses. period. If buy a program and it should work on my computer until the disk wares out. Some where Microsoft has snow job the public in to believing that older software is no good and they should buy the newest versions of the same program every 2 to 3 years. Making the os backward compatible to other versions is no harder than adding useless eye candy.

So what so wrong with Vista? Where do I start. I’ll do the annoyances first.

1) Vista sometimes puts it file Properties behind software that is running. That means I have to minimize to system tray the program(s) to see it. File Properties should always be on top.

2) Win Zip doesn’t work. 9 hours to unzip 10 megs? I had to add a unzipping program.

3) I turn off the computer completely not send to sleep. Suiting down has one extra unnecessary step.

Now the majors problems.

4) About half of my programs don't work or are limited to what they do. This list includes Carrara,( will not generate movie files) The game ‘The movies (doesn’t run) Magix Movie Editor (doesn’t recognize any burner. I have 3. Two internal and one on a usb port.) And list go on.

5) What is with this permission crap. I want to delete a file I never what my os telling I can’t. Lunix just ask for your password. Vista in administrator mode wont let you delete files. The only work around is to shut off my computer and reboot.

6)I have a 64 dual core processor with a 32 bit Vista os. That what came with the computer. I need to pay more for the correct Vista os? FU MS$.

7)Vista is slow. . Vista has problem running most software. Slow frame rates in games, if the work at all. And long times for programs to respond to mouse clicks. Try pausing video from the hard drive.

8)Comes with crap ware. I don’t use Real player and don’t want it Right along with Defender. My Vista computer never get on the internet. Never! Don’t need it. Think about all the bandwith that is sucks up world wide by MS$ os doing the ET and dialing home every time a user logs on the internet. At least let me know when the os is updating, not going behind my back.

9)Vista is bloated. Too much useless things running in the background using up my clock cycles. DRM and others crap

So avoid Vista at all costs. The next computer I get will be a mac or lunix. Not because I like them, but I hate MS$ for F-ing me so much.

Dale
chucky

Post by chucky »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
gyula

Post by gyula »

coming soon, at the theater near you: http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/
chucky

Post by chucky »

Windows 7
Beta out now.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Tried Windows 7 on Virtual PC (not willing to spare a whole computer to risk), and I was unimpressed. MS keeps obscuring the settings. I'd prefer them to make a simpler, more transparent, OS.

I guess next I'll have to run my copy of Vista in Virtual PC.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Well, since getting maya 2009 I really have no choice but Vista right now.
Looks like I need a nice new shiny machine with a Quadro and V64, .....pity I'm broke. :cry:
Dale you might have to have a look at your system specs or build quality, really. I have had totally the opposite from Vista on my tablet pc, it makes XP look like a poorly thought out test run... think of all the RAM, man..... :lol:
If I could switch up my workstation tomorrow I would...
Ubuntu will run maya 2009 but I read the instructions and posts on the ubuntu forums, and if you have to type that much code to install something, well, it's a no brainer for this no brainer. :wink:
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello all
chucky wrote:Looks like I need a nice new shiny machine with a Quadro and V64
chucky, I run xsi and pretty much anything at work on a dualcore AMD 5000 with a gforce en9800GT 512, runs pretty smoothly even on big scenes. Installed Maya 2009 and tested it for almost 2 days on it no problems, was way smooth. We use Maya for some shots, XSI is better though! 8)

LOL

GC