The 64 bit question

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Post by chucky »

yeah it was working mostly fine on my old geforce 7800 for a couple of weeks, but as on far too many scenes the orthogonal won't render anything (perspective still works) just disappear or clip through the models.
I save model , import into new scene and it's good for an hour but then returns to 'invisibles', restarts don't change anything.
I'm getting a whole list of weirdness and crashes now, I checked it out sp3 isn't qualified and neither is my card, so although it does some stuff fine it just isn't reliable. Maya wasn't my first preference, but even animal logic are phasing out xsi over here in OZ (so is the word) so I have to go for the standard for the sake of work .
Do you know much about C4D? I would love to be using that for my own selfish pleasures, everything I have seen on the usability and sexy UI fronts have got me all wobbly. Maya does some really far fetched stuff but it's not much fun and pretty stubborn IMHO, but that might be my old XP system running out of chug. AS still works beaut on it though 8)
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

chucky

I bought the computer bran new. preloaded Vista. It never been on the internet. I have only installed a few programs. Now I don't bother, even the vista ready ones don't work. From the moment I first used it, it was slow. It's gotten just a little better with sp1 installed. but it still sucks.

Window Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Hp a600
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 Ghz
3 GB or ram
32- bit Operating System

Some programs run just fine. They are very few. Others like Power DVD is slow. 10 to 15 to pull up the controls, press pause and sometimes it less than a second other times it more like 5 seconds before it pauses.

Some like Vista, I would if it worked. It just doesn't. And I'm not the only one.

Dale
chucky

Post by chucky »

I feel terrible for you Dale, that's a shocking situation.
A lot of people would blame HP but as I said my HP tablet works fine, admittedly only after I went into the BIOS, where I found the power settings where like a car with a limiter on it, maybe check that out, although I know it doesn't make sense.
Seriously My tablet ran like a 2 legged dog until I changed power setting in the BIOS now it blisters along... weird huh?
gyula

Post by gyula »

chucky: you write you dont want to switch to Mac. Can i ask you why? Maya 2009 runs on the Mac as well, and the Mac is more stabil then PC. (since software and hardware are made by one company)
I switched to the Mac for years now and since then I dont have to worry with drivers, bios, virus, etc.The operating system is invisible. you just work, you dont maintain your system :) it really unstress life and you can concentrate on things that you enjoy to do with a computer.

Besides, you can install Windows on the Mac via Bootcamp so you can run Maya windows version (if you dont have the mac licence)
..and Snow Leopard coming out soon, Apple said they only focused on stability and security, so probably it will just get better..
AS runs like a dream on it, AE as well, and probably Maya too (i dont use it) or maybe as an alternative Cinema 4D which is more popular on the Mac (Pixar using it)
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

An OS war and a hardware war, wohoooo!!! :)

Most Mac users I know who switched from powerpc to Intel are diseapointed, saying their work tool has become unstable and the such!

We are getting out of topic here but I'll just add something, wether it is Winblows, OSX or Linux, they all have pros and cons.

I use Linux because it it fast, reliable and opensource. True you get to do some command line stuff from time to time, but you also get amazing functionnality.

Just use whatever does the job for you and live in peace! :)

GC
chucky

Post by chucky »

Thanks for the replies guys, I do love macs, they are so shiny and beautiful, but I need to keep the pc in order to help my mac friends when they 'just can't do it' on their mac. :lol: true.:lol:
Pixar use C4D? what for... that would be the coup de grace for sure you mean bodypaint don't you ? Please tell me where you got that info....
I would be truly mightily impressed by that, but (and I'm being cheeky not rude here), sounds like you got that story from a cereal packet. :roll:
Thanks though for the tip, if I had as much money as sense ten years ago I would have bought a mac and stuck with it,( I would have also have signed a blood oath to apple and issued a fatwa on microsoft ) - sorry every time I say something nice about macs I feel compelled to make a joke at their expense.... must be the subliminal messages hidden in my operating system. :wink:

ADDITION: oh yeah the reason I have Vista is for my cool tablet pc with pressurised wacom. I waited and waited and waited for the fabled iPad, tell me where I can buy one , or shall I go fishing for a unicorn?
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Pixar use Maya according to a Pixar animator running a workshop I attended late last year. (Just saying.)
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

madrobot wrote:Pixar use Maya according to a Pixar animator running a workshop I attended late last year. (Just saying.)
I chat on a regular basis with a Pixar animator(Victor Navone) and they mostly use proprietary software, but they might include non-proprietary software in their pipeline.

Pixar has some great 3D coders, and dont forget that renderman is Pixar baby renderer among others!

GC
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

I guess I stand corrected then.
gyula

Post by gyula »

correct, i read it somewhere on a board, but maybe it was something to do with Renderman, either way Maya or C4D, thats not the point, they both run without a headaque on a Mac
i also have PCs, but really prefer working on the Mac, and to get back to the subject of this topic, i think 64 bit support will be better on Snow Leopard then Windows 7 (although i will have both as well)
Heres a good article about the subject. (The new Mac will also support 128 bit ZFS system)
aliahlewis

Post by aliahlewis »

I know I am little bit late to give my opinion but I don't want to miss opportunity to give my suggestion. Vista is just crap and I will say it's one of the failed OS of Microsoft and there was many bugs with complicated navigation system. And as it's 2007 I would suggest if anyone want to change OS then go for Windows 7 Enterprise version as it's excellent and also available for free.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

It's about time for me to get a new computer. What I want to know is, if I get a new 64 bit machine with Windows 7, will AS run smoothly?

I just did a project using Anime Studio 6 Pro, and on my computer at least, it was slow as molasses. It took much longer to do than it should have. The more complex my scene, the slower it got, and it seemed that the more work I did, the slower it got. I would quit, and restart AS, and it would be back up to speed for a while, then as time went by, I'd start seeing long pauses between clicking something and when it actually took effect. Then windows would start blanking out white. They would eventually come back, but those long pauses really eat into my work time and slow me down. Once I duplicated a folder and I thought I was going to lose all my work. AS really went haywire.

Will these problems go away with a faster multiprocessor computer? or is AS just slow and buggy?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello again.

Since my last post on this thread I bought a new system, AMD Phenom II 965 with 8 gigs of 1800 mhz DDR3 ram and I run windows 7 64 bits on it, really fast computer.

Unfortunatly, AS Pro 6.x does not run smoothly on it, becomes real slow as you get into more detailed drawing, which is a pain, actualy went back to 5.6 until this issue is resolved.

It might be a memory leak problem.

G
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

I hope so. It's so painfully slow I'd hesitate to use it again.

Is 5.6 faster?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

SpaceBoy64 wrote:Is 5.6 faster?
5.6 is instatenuous when drawing, but you loose some of the cool tools introduced in 6.x, like better gradient controls, more layers options and such.

G