What's your backup strategy?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

human

What's your backup strategy?

Post by human »

I'm curious... do any of you have a discipline / schedule / philosophy about creating backups of your work?
cribble

Post by cribble »

I have a folder called "Projects." In which, are more folders labeled after years (well, since i started backing up works). And then i just dump the projects into the appropriate folder (obviously, the project will be in it's own, named folder or archived as a .zip file).

All of this is on one external USB backup drive, which is use purely for work back ups.

Otherwise, i have timemachine hooked up to a firewire drive which i run weekly.
--Scott
cribble.net
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Rule of thumb is to ALWAYS back up to writable media (non disc drive type media -- all spinning media will eventually fail) like DVD or CD. You can write to USB drives (solid state) but these devices are still not as reliable as writable media and I would not rely upon them for a final backup solution.

The second rule of thumb is the same as the dentist told me when I asked if I needed to floss ALL my teeth. "Only those you don't want to lose". Only backup the data you don't want to lose. If that means you've worked for two hours and don't relish recreating that work, write it to CD or DVD right then and there. If, OTOH, you don't mind losing a week's worth of work, don't backup more than once a week. Only you can decide how valuable your time is.

(My own strategy, now that I'm retired, is to backup my stuff once a day to a multisession DVD. When we were in business we backed up several times to a RAID device, and then tape backup each night. But we could not afford to lose more than a day's worth of work).
DK

Post by DK »

I have developed the habit of saving two copies of every scene I create in AS, eg, scene01A and scene01B. This has saved me on numerous occasions from the "Bad Header" read error. Everyday the whole directory is backed up onto external USB drive.

If anyone knows how to save an AS file if it does have a Bad Header error i'd sure like to hear it.

D.K
rplate

Post by rplate »

DK wrote: If anyone knows how to save an AS file if it does have a Bad Header error i'd sure like to hear it.
D.K
Have you tried isobuster recovery software yet?

Bob P
DK

Post by DK »

Would Isobuster work on an Anime Studio file?

D.K
rplate

Post by rplate »

DK wrote:Would Isobuster work on an Anime Studio file?

D.K
Don't know? Try the free trail and see.
DK

Post by DK »

I just did some playing around with the AS file headers. I managed to corrupt one file then repaired it with a file header from another AS file....seems to work fine.

D.K