supergami

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

human

supergami

Post by human »

As one way of honoring the resident gods, I offer news items about origami, such as this one:

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/01 ... es-wi.html

Hope you enjoy
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Woohooo!

Are you an Origami fan?

I have a bunch of Robert Lang's origami books. He is a total NUT! He is CRAZY with the folding. His are some of the most complex nearly impossible to fold models I have tried and I've been folding for nearly 30 years.

My favorite is still the cuckoo clock. Dang thing is 3D, with hands, pendulum, and a bird that pops out of the door. I tried all of his jazz band models. A 3D piano player AND piano and the guys arms move when you pull a flap and all of this out of one sheet of paper. The only thing I don't "approve" of is his use of "non-square" paper. I am a traditionalist. ;)

The whole concept of printing "crease patterns" of models is something new for me. I've been out of the loop with origami for a few years and missed out on this.

p.s. Many many years ago I was on a mailing list for origami. I forget now what it was called. My user name was "Origamiist" and I use to get email from people thinking that was some kind of... "sexual" reference. Freaked me out. First off there is an "i" in there... and the "s" is in the wrong spot completely. Couldn't those pervs read? ;)

-vern
human

Post by human »

[quote="heyvern"]Are you an Origami fan?

No, I don't follow origami, but if there were some other topic that I knew was so enjoyable to any members of the forum, I would post a link I'd found on that, too.

Seems like the least we can do to appreciate people who give lots of help.
Last edited by human on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Yes, this was waaaaay back in the early days of AOL and that cool new thing called "IM".

Yes, I was an AOL user in the old days of 2400 baud rate modems and BBS's. Back then I actually bought a catalog at the end of the year that listed all of the web sites. It was about half as thick as a phone book. I bet it is a collector's item now... I should try to find it. I can remember looking at web sites until I had seen "all the good ones" and got bored.

Anyway, I would get these stupid IM's about that user name and get all kinds of... strange... requests. The strange requests didn't bother me... the perverted suggestions didn't bother me... what bothered me was how STUPID they were to mistake... that word... for something else. They were so desperate they didn't bother to make sure they read the word correctly.

I did have a lot of fun embarrassing the hell out of people though. ;)
"Uh, no. I'm not interested in that at all. Origamiist refers to the ancient art of Japanese paper folding you illiterate pervert!"

"Oops! Sorry. My mistake. I thought it meant something else. It really does look like something else. I guess I read it wrong. You really should use a different name."
I had those conversations several times a week online back then. I had to turn of IM... when that "canned meat product" started to appear I stopped using Origamiist completely.

Good to see how so much more intelligent the online community has become over the years. :roll:

-vern
rplate

Post by rplate »

This guy is a livingOrigami cartoonistAmazingly funny and entertaining.

Enter in the site to several languages choices. then at the top of the site click on movies. You'll be delighted you did. Sooo fun!

Bob P
rplate

Post by rplate »

fixed the link above

So sorry about that. :oops: This one works to.

Bob P
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

This guy is a living Origami cartoonist Amazingly funny and entertaining.
I feel... like I've somehow been... infected by it. It's repulsive.
No seriously. It's entertaining but uh, very odd. I feel like less of a man from having watched it. Performance art? :wink:
rplate

Post by rplate »

synthsin75 wrote:
This guy is a living Origami cartoonist Amazingly funny and entertaining.
I feel... like I've somehow been... infected by it. It's repulsive.
No seriously. It's entertaining but uh, very odd. I feel like less of a man from having watched it. Performance art? :wink:
Read his personal page

I'm sorry if you missed the artistic side of this man because of the way he presents himself. I was most impressed with the way he could go from one impression to another to another. And... the medium of art that he uses to accomplish it.
I have worked with children's theater as prop and scene director as well as designer and builder, and can appreciate the effectiveness of art to give the story substance. I have used and created props that break down and changed into new scenes while the story is going on. So, I appreciate the creativity of what is going on here.
I'm sorry you lost the eye for talent just because you equated his talent with femininity.

Bob P
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's very creative. I enjoyed the first one or two, but after that it was kinda more of the same. Maybe he just went on too long with each impersonation.
I'm just not one of the 'art for art's sake' kinda people. I appreciate all art to the degree that it communicates something to me. I guess it's one of those 'to each their own' deals.
I imagine theater experience would make it more relevant for you. Don't let my joking detract from it.